ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Referee requirement - British Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ResidentEvil

Referee requirement - British Citizenship

Post by ResidentEvil » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:03 pm

Dear all

I am applying for British Citizenship for my wife. She got her ILR rcently (spouse of british citizen) so I believe I dont need to wait for 12 months and can apply straight away for citizenship.

I am at the section of the application form where I need to fill-in the details of two referees.
I have filled in the first referee as my work colleague that has known our family for more than three years. Has British passport and and above 25.

For the second professional refree, I was thinking of adding my friend who has known me and my wife for many years. He is a US national and a radio oncologist at a hospital by profession. Lives in the US. Doesnt have any British affilication. Can I use him as a second referee? Is there any clause that the professional referee needs to be living and working in the UK or have British Passport or living in the same country as applicant etc.

Many thanks in advance.

dexmo

Re: Referee requirement - British Citizenship

Post by dexmo » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:42 pm

ResidentEvil wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:03 pm
Dear all

I am applying for British Citizenship for my wife. She got her ILR rcently (spouse of british citizen) so I believe I dont need to wait for 12 months and can apply straight away for citizenship.

I am at the section of the application form where I need to fill-in the details of two referees.
I have filled in the first referee as my work colleague that has known our family for more than three years. Has British passport and and above 25.

For the second professional refree, I was thinking of adding my friend who has known me and my wife for many years. He is a US national and a radio oncologist at a hospital by profession. Lives in the US. Doesnt have any British affilication. Can I use him as a second referee? Is there any clause that the professional referee needs to be living and working in the UK or have British Passport or living in the same country as applicant etc.

Many thanks in advance.
There is. Both referees must be UK residents, your professional referee can be any nationality though.

ResidentEvil

Post by ResidentEvil » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:53 pm

OK thanks for clarifying dexmo!

ResidentEvil

Re: Documents needed - British Citizenship

Post by ResidentEvil » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:21 pm

Hi All

Applying for Citizenship application for my wife as a spouse of Birtish Citizen. She got her ILR three months ago.

In the required documents checklist, it asks for

"Proof of living in the UK for Mrs <wife name> for 5 years if applying in your own right or 3 years if applying as the spouse of a British Citizen."

and in the end it mentions that "Bank statements or household bills are not suitable proof you have been living in the UK."

I assume I would need to submit for 3 years. But it doesnt give any examples of which documents and how many documents per year I would need to submit for the past 3 years as a proof of her living in the UK.

Please advise.

Many thanks.

ResidentEvil

Re: Documents needed - British Citizenship

Post by ResidentEvil » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:23 pm

Here is the complete extract for Proof of living in the UK section

Proof of living in the UK for Mrs <wife name> for 5 years if applying in your own right or 3 years if applying as the spouse of a British Citizen
If you are married to, or in a civil partnership with, a British citizen, you must have been in the UK for the past 3 years.
If you are not married, or in a civil partnership with, a British citizen, you must have been in the UK for the past 5 years.
If you are an EEA National, you need to include letters from employers, educational establishments or other government departments, indicating your presence in the UK during the relevant 3- or 5-year period.
If you are a Non-EEA National, you need to include your passport to prove you have lived in the UK for the relevant 3- or 5-year period.
If you do not have your passport or it was not stamped when you entered the UK, you need to include letters (for example, from your employer or government department) as proof.
Bank statements or household bills are not suitable proof you have been living in the UK.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:48 pm

You only need her passport(s) covering the 3 years. None of the other documents are required.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ResidentEvil

Post by ResidentEvil » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:51 pm

Thanks alot CR001.