Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to!

Login Register Do not show

Referees:List of acceptable professional,No software relate?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push

Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:37 pm

Referees:List of acceptable professional,No software relate?

Post by Gob00st » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:12 pm

Hi ,
Sorry if this is a obvious question but I didn't manage to find anything useful regarding this through forum search or even google.

Basically one of my friend is about to get into citizenship and he said he requires two professionals referees to be able to get the citizenship.

The question is about who can be qualified as these kind of referee?

It's according to the list below: ... iew=Binary

The things this list baffles as I am a software programmer but it seems not included in this list.

The only thing I can remotely found related with software programmer is -Engineer (with professional qualifications) .

But I don't really have a professional qualification, but I do have a bachelors & a master's degree obtained in UK in computer science. But I am not sure if a couple of academic degrees are deemed as professional qualifications...

Can anyone shed a bit light on this please? Could a professional software programmer can be a referee for citizenship??

Thanks in advance.

Respected Guru
Posts: 8734
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:31 am

Post by Jambo » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:21 pm

Only one referee needs to be a professional referee. The other referee needs to be a valid UK passport holder (doesn't need to be a professional).

Professional in the context of acting as referee refers to people listed in a professional organisation. For software engineers this might be the BCS so if you are a CEng (Charted Engineer), you can act as a referee.