ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Referees who recently moved to Guernsey

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Marge21
Newly Registered

Referees who recently moved to Guernsey

Post by Marge21 » Tue May 18, 2021 10:10 pm

Hello!
We are hoping to apply for the UK citizenship. I read here and on gov.uk about reference letters, who can be referees etc. I have a friend who qualifies based on her profession. She has worked in UK for a few years. And her husband fits as a UK citizen (holds UK passport). So I had them in mind.
But a month ago or so they moved to Guernsey, Channel Islands. We are planning to apply for citizenship at the end of June.
I am wondering can I still use them as referees?
The referees need to provide their addresses for 3 years. And Guernsey is a British Crown dependency.So I am thinking probably it is ok?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Referees who recently moved to Guernsey

Post by alterhase58 » Tue May 18, 2021 10:12 pm

As far as I know that should be ok - as Guernsey is a dependency.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed May 19, 2021 2:12 am

The Channel Islands are a part of the UK for the purpose of nationality law (though not for the purposes of other laws). So, you should be fine.

Be aware that the two referees can't be related to each other or to you. So you will be able to use one of them as your referee, not both.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Marge21
Newly Registered

Post by Marge21 » Wed May 19, 2021 12:39 pm

Thank you for your answers. And thanks for flagging that the referees shouldn't be related! I will manage find the British citizen as a referee but finding a professional one is tricky.