ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Reference letters for UK citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Marg021
Newly Registered

Reference letters for UK citizenship

Post by Marg021 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:02 am

Hi all!
I am considering applying for the UK citizenship. I read here and on gov.uk about referees for UK citizenship but still don't understand a few things. Could you please help.
As many people applying for UK citizenship I am a bit confused about a referee "who has a professional standing" (Referee declaration MN1 I am referring to).

My questions:
1) Do I understand correctly that the referee should have the profession from the list of acceptable professions but still can be my friend or a neighbour? I don't have to be in the professional relationship with them right?
I mean it doesn't have to be specifically my dentist or a nurse at my local GP practise?

2) What exactly does 'chemist' mean in the list on gov.uk?
I have an Australian friend working in the NHS hospital as a pharmacist. She often refers to herself as a chemist, because in Commonwealth English it's the same thing. Is 'chemist' in the list of acceptable professions the same as pharmacist or its a chemistry scientist?

3) Can the reference letters be dated a few months earlier than I am eligible to apply for citizenship?
I am eligible to apply in June, can I still obtain letters in Feb-March?

Thank you in advance!

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Reference letters for UK citizenship

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:11 am

1) Correct. Professional engagement is only required for children.

2) I believe pharmacist (chemist) is OK.

3) Ideally very close to application date (not more than a month old) OR after application and up to the biometrics date at the latest.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

Marg021
Newly Registered

Re: Reference letters for UK citizenship

Post by Marg021 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:51 am

Thanks a lot for a quick response!