ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Right of abode

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

anon192
Newly Registered

Right of abode

Post by anon192 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:37 pm

While reading for the citizenship by naturalization process, I came across the following quote:

"If, as a British Citizen, you wish to travel on a non-British passport it must be endorsed to show that you have the right of abode. Otherwise, you might experience difficulty proving your right to be re-admitted to the United Kingdom."

But I am not sure what it means, if I get the citizenship, I will have dual nationality and I might use my other passport when travelling to my home country, how is this affecting my British citizenship? Or does it simply says that if you do travel with a non-British passport to another country, when returning to the UK I should make sure that I use my British passport to enter the UK?

Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Right of abode

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:50 am

You cannot get a "Right of Abode" endorsement if you have a British passport.
ROA is for those British citizens who may not wish to have a British passport, or as a stop-gap until they can get one (mainly from overseas). It does not affect your British citizenship, and not compulsory.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

anon192
Newly Registered

Post by anon192 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:21 pm

Thanks! So this is only needed if you don't have a british passport.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:33 pm

anon192 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:21 pm
Thanks! So this is only needed if you don't have a british passport.
Correct, but within the UK it's very easy and quick to get a passport compared to from abroad, especially your first one.

It's a complicated subject. This may be of interest: https://www.freemovement.org.uk/what-is ... ation-law/
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

anon192
Newly Registered

Post by anon192 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:46 pm

Yes, I am aware of it. Thanks for sharing though.