ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ROA or Emergency Travel Document or Passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny

Kuffs
Newly Registered

ROA or Emergency Travel Document or Passport

Post by Kuffs » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:59 pm

Hi,

I have received my daughter's (born and lives in Pakistan) British registration certificate (applied under section 3 (2) on the MN1 form). I am going to apply for my wife's spouse visa next from Pakistan (this SHOULD take around 2 months), however i am not able to apply for my daughter's British Passport and my wife's visa at the same time, as we need to provide original documents for each application. So i need to do this one by one.

What is the best course of action considering a British Passport application takes around 6 months from Pakistan to process? Do i apply for my wife's visa and once i get it, apply for ROA for my daughter (if she is eligible) or do i apply for a emergency travel document (as she is British)?

This will allow my wife (on a spouse visa) and my daughter (on one of the above) to come to the UK ASAP and i can apply for my daughter's BP from the UK.

Thanks guys.

vinny

Re: ROA or Emergency Travel Document or Passport

Post by vinny » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:11 pm

A British child may apply for either a British passport or a CoE-RoA.

An emergency travel document may be difficult.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Kuffs
Newly Registered

Post by Kuffs » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:01 pm

Thanks Vinny,

I am British by Descent and my daughter is British by Registration under secton 3 (2) is she eliigble for ROA? I know she is now British, but just wanted to ensure she is eligible?

Because on the application form it gives a few options on why she would be entitled to ROA and none of them seem to match my situation -

Applicant born in Pakistan, Registered British
Parent born in Pakistan, came over to the UK in 1990, British Citizen since and has lived here for over 24 years,
Grandfather of applictant - British by otherwise than descent

Thanks
Last edited by Kuffs on Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:03 pm

If they know that your daughter is British, then they shouldn't issue her a visit visa.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

Kuffs
Newly Registered

Post by Kuffs » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:09 pm

Thanks Vinny,

I am British by Descent and my daughter is British by Registration under secton 3 (2) is she eliigble for ROA? I know she is now British, but just wanted to ensure she is eligible?

Because on the application form it gives a few options on why she would be entitled to ROA and none of them seem to match my situation -

Applicant born in Pakistan, Registered British
Parent born in Pakistan, came over to the UK in 1990, British Citizen since and has lived here for over 24 years,
Grandfather of applictant - British by otherwise than descent

Thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:19 pm

All British citizens have the Right of Abode (2(1)(a)). A British citizen without an alternative evidence of Right of Abode as specified in 6(b), may apply for a CoE-RoA.

Kuffs
Newly Registered

Post by Kuffs » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:39 am

Thanks Vinny,

Yes i see that all British Citizens by law have right of abode, however just to confirm and clarify I am the father and i am BRITISH BY DESCENT, my father (grandfather of the applicant) is British by otherwise than descent,

my daughter is BRITISH BY DESCENT via Section 3 (2) Registered minor. Can i still apply for COE-ROA for her? If so what supporting documents do i supply?

I am assuming just her pakistani passport, passport sized photo and Registration Certificate, appliction form?

Thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:59 am

Yes.

Confirmation that applicant hasn't got a British Passort and
Applicant was registered or naturalised as a British citizen on or after 1st January 1983 wrote:Applicant’s registration or naturalisation certificate

Kuffs
Newly Registered

Post by Kuffs » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:26 am

Thanks once again Vinny,

How do I prove that she does not have or ever has had a British Passport? Is it just a cover letter stating that to be the case or an actual document?

Thanks again.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:08 pm

How would you prove a negative, other than giving a statement? I believe that the application form asks the question.

Is it too much to hope that they can check their records if a passport application has, or has not, been made or granted?

sabidh12

Post by sabidh12 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:13 pm

Hello vinny and Amber,

Pls advice me as i urgently need your help.
I applied for naturalisation at the end of feb 2015 by post. When my app was ho, my mom passed away in my home country.

So i requested ho for urgent return of my passports and brp. They only return my passports and informed me that they couldn't find brp in my file. I used premium services for replacement brp but the caseworker told me that brp cant be issued as my naturalisation app has been successful.

I hv also received ho letter that says that my app has been successful and shortly i'll receive ceremony invitation.

Now the problem is i want to travel in urgent to participate in my moms funeral. I am the only child of my parents andmy father is also very aged and he needs me in this tough time.

I dont want to attend ceremony now and apply for british passport as it takes too long. I have few queries. Pls if u can answer.

1:Can i apply for emergency travel document when i hv only pakistan passport with me?
2:If yes what is the procedure and how long will it take?.

3:Will it be safe to return back uk on travel documents.
I am desperate waiting for your reply. Thanks.

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:48 pm

Two scenario come to mind:
1. You are not attending funeral: Then you can simply call the local council, book private ceremony (usually available for next day or within a week) and become citizen, then leave for Pakistan. Then explain situation to British High Commission and request for emergency travel document.

2. You are attending funeral. I'd simply go. You have Pakistani Passport so you have visa free entry to Pakistan. From there, you can call your local council about invitation letter and book a ceremony abroad but this is risky / delaying matters in my view.

Anyway I'd await more replies, vinny and Amber can tell better.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

sabidh12

Post by sabidh12 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:38 pm

Thank you so much fwd079, actually i haven't received invitation letter yet, and i want to go only for 2-3 weeks as my family is here in uk.

Can i make travel documents from here and how long will it take?

Pls vinny and Amber, if u can advice also.
Thanks