ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com


Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Section 4 and section 8 of the passport application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push

Post Reply
Cure123
Newbie
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:00 pm

British passport and birth certificate

Post by Cure123 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:47 pm

Hi all,

I have two questions please, when applying to your first British passport after your naturalisation

1- Do you send all your passport including the cancelled one? This is s bit confusing, the current one I have is not the same one I entered the UK with, as that one is expired.

2- When you are required to send your birth certificate please?

Many thanks and looking forward for your answer.

User avatar
katanayi
Member
Posts: 218
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:24 am
Mood:

Re: British passport and birth certificate

Post by katanayi » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:16 pm

1, both entered passport does not matter cancelled /expired and current one need to send.

2, adult no need to send birth certificate.

User avatar
alterhase58
Respected Guru
Posts: 4058
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:02 pm
Location: UK Bucks
Germany

Re: British passport and birth certificate

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:21 pm

Cure123 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:47 pm
Hi all,

I have two questions please, when applying to your first British passport after your naturalisation

1- Do you send all your passport including the cancelled one? This is s bit confusing, the current one I have is not the same one I entered the UK with, as that one is expired. Only current and expired passports, not cancelled ones with corner cut, hole punched, or stamped "cancelled".

2- When you are required to send your birth certificate please?No - but your naturalisation certificate!

Many thanks and looking forward for your answer.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice - they will be ignored

Cure123
Newbie
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:00 pm

Re: British passport and birth certificate

Post by Cure123 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:00 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:21 pm
Cure123 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:47 pm
Hi all,

I have two questions please, when applying to your first British passport after your naturalisation

1- Do you send all your passport including the cancelled one? This is s bit confusing, the current one I have is not the same one I entered the UK with, as that one is expired. Only current and expired passports, not cancelled ones with corner cut, hole punched, or stamped "cancelled".

2- When you are required to send your birth certificate please?No - but your naturalisation certificate!

Many thanks and looking forward for your answer.
Many thanks for your reply, I was born in the UK but after 1983, recently got my certificate. So only send the certificate, no need to the birth certificate?

What about parents marriage certificate?

User avatar
alterhase58
Respected Guru
Posts: 4058
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:02 pm
Location: UK Bucks
Germany

Re: British passport and birth certificate

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:13 am

Your claim to British citizenship is through being naturalised, not through birth in the UK or through your parents. Unless I misunderstand?
Therefore, HMPO only require your Naturalisation Certificate and current/expired passports. Birth and parents' marriage certificate not required.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice - they will be ignored

Cure123
Newbie
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:00 pm

Re: British passport and birth certificate

Post by Cure123 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:36 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:13 am
Your claim to British citizenship is through being naturalised, not through birth in the UK or through your parents. Unless I misunderstand?
Therefore, HMPO only require your Naturalisation Certificate and current/expired passports. Birth and parents' marriage certificate not required.
Yes you did understand correctly, I am applying through being naturalised.

Just to confirm the passport question, the old passport I have which is expired has a punch hole and stamped cancel, do I need to send this one? This is the same passport I entered the UK with

Thank you

User avatar
alterhase58
Respected Guru
Posts: 4058
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:02 pm
Location: UK Bucks
Germany

Re: British passport and birth certificate

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:42 am

Just enclose that passport as well as they keep asking for those - all documents will be returned to you.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice - they will be ignored

Cure123
Newbie
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:00 pm

Section 4 and section 8 of the passport application

Post by Cure123 » Sat May 01, 2021 10:46 am

Hi All,

I am filling a paper copy of my first adult British passport and I have some questions. In section 4, it says
  • If either parent was born on or after 1 January 1983, or were born outside the UK, please give the following details in section 8 of the application form. Either: the full name, town, country of birth and date of marriage of your mother’s or parent 1’s parents and your father’s or parent 2’s parents


Of course, my parents were born outside the UK. Does this means I need to put my grandparents details in section 8. How would I know their date of marriage? Or date of birth

I want to ask what did you do guys, have you put any of these details. Are these only available for the paper copy?

Please help

User avatar
alterhase58
Respected Guru
Posts: 4058
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:02 pm
Location: UK Bucks
Germany

Re: Section 4 and section 8 of the passport application

Post by alterhase58 » Sat May 01, 2021 10:56 am

The passport application form caters for all manner of pathways to British citizenship, such as birth, naturalisation, registration, etc etc all with different requirements. The section you are referring to asks for details where the parents' status is important to someone's claim to British citizenship. There's no need to provide the details. All you need is your naturalisation certificate and passports.

NB. Also on the online form when I did it a few years back - some fields were mandatory but just filled in until I could move on. And like yourself I didn't have some of the details myself.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice - they will be ignored

Cure123
Newbie
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:00 pm

Re: Section 4 and section 8 of the passport application

Post by Cure123 » Sat May 01, 2021 11:41 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 10:56 am
The passport application form caters for all manner of pathways to British citizenship, such as birth, naturalisation, registration, etc etc all with different requirements. The section you are referring to asks for details where the parents' status is important to someone's claim to British citizenship. There's no need to provide the details. All you need is your naturalisation certificate and passports.

NB. Also on the online form when I did it a few years back - some fields were mandatory but just filled in until I could move on. And like yourself I didn't have some of the details myself.
Many thanks for getting back to me Alterhase, I was born in the UK after 1983, but I am applying based on naturalisation, would that make any difference

User avatar
alterhase58
Respected Guru
Posts: 4058
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:02 pm
Location: UK Bucks
Germany

Re: Section 4 and section 8 of the passport application

Post by alterhase58 » Sat May 01, 2021 1:41 pm

Don't overthink this - HMPO are not going to examine your route to British citizenship.
You are British with the correct paperwork - so I can't see any issue.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice - they will be ignored

Cure123
Newbie
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:00 pm

Re: Section 4 and section 8 of the passport application

Post by Cure123 » Sat May 01, 2021 3:18 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 1:41 pm
Don't overthink this - HMPO are not going to examine your route to British citizenship.
You are British with the correct paperwork - so I can't see any issue.
You are a star. Many thanks for your help and support

Post Reply
cron