ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

shall I return my BRP after citizenship ceremony

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kimmy_dave
Newly Registered

shall I return my BRP after citizenship ceremony

Post by kimmy_dave » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:14 pm

Dear All,

I applied for nationalization in June 2015, where the applicaiton form at that time doesn't require to return BRP after nationalization approval.

My application is approved in December 2015 and the citizenship ceremony is planned in March 2016. The question is am I eligible to return the BRP after the ceremony? As you know the new policy came in place on December 9 2015.

Thanks.
Kimmy

Casa

Re: shall I return my BRP after citizenship ceremony

Post by Casa » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:16 pm

You need to return the BRP within 5 days of the ceremony or face a £1,000 fine. You will probably be notified this in writing when you attend your ceremony. The BRP will be invalid after you ceremony, so it won't be of any use to you.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

kimmy_dave
Newly Registered

Post by kimmy_dave » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:24 pm

Casa wrote:You need to return the BRP within 5 days of the ceremony or face a £1,000 fine. You will probably be notified this in writing when you attend your ceremony. The BRP will be invalid after you ceremony, so it won't be of any use to you.
Will the BRP card lose the biometric information after the citizenship ceremony?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:23 pm

The BRP is cancelled and ILR no longer valid once you are British.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:50 pm

kimmy_dave wrote:Will the BRP card lose the biometric information after the citizenship ceremony?
No, the BRP retains its biometric data, which is precisely why it must be physically destroyed.

However, the Home Office deletes (or is supposed to delete) your biometric data off its systems. So, the biometric information on the BRP can no longer be validated.

Also, your ILR comes to an end as a British citizen does not require leave to remain in the UK and hence the basis on which your BRP is issued "ceases to be".
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:32 pm

Casa wrote:The BRP will be invalid after you ceremony, so it won't be of any use to you.
If you have children born in the UK when you had ILR, then they may need your BRP as proof that they are automatically British.

It seems ill thought out to demand its return or destruction when it may still be required for some other purpose. It actually confers British citizenship to your UK born children under Section 1(1)(b). For them, its importance is probably equivalent to a registration or naturalisation certificate; it may even be more important than their subsequent British passports.

They should allow people to keep their BRP upon expiry too, similar to allowing people to keep expired passports.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

kimmy_dave
Newly Registered

Post by kimmy_dave » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:12 pm

From below post I understand that I don;t have to return BRP card because I was using the 2015 June appliacaiotn form.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 05-60.html