ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Sponsor is British but passport about to expire

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kenfrapin

Sponsor is British but passport about to expire

Post by kenfrapin » Thu May 17, 2012 7:07 pm

Been a while since I posted and a year has flown by. Completing formalities and filling the AN form

I have 2 sponsors lined up, close family friends, but one of them just told me that their passport expires in August 2012 and we are applying for citizenship mid June.

So at the time of applying, he will have a valid British passport. I was only concerned if the UKBA will frown on the fact his passport is set to expire in a few months? Any advice?

Another random question which I havent found an answer to - Do people carry a copy of their sponsors passport with them? I know this is over the top but since my sponsor asked me I thought I better double check!

Thanks
Ken

geriatrix

Re: Sponsor is British but passport about to expire

Post by geriatrix » Thu May 17, 2012 7:23 pm

I guess you mean referee ..... not sponsor!
kenfrapin wrote:Do people carry a copy of their sponsors passport with them?
No ... because there is no such need.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Thu May 17, 2012 7:41 pm

Oops, referee indeed, so then, will the passport expiring 2 months down the line be a problem? It shouldnt actually as it's valid on the day of application right?

KP

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Thu May 17, 2012 8:20 pm

I believe the passport number of the referee is used only to verify the person's nationality (one of the referees must be British citizen).

An expired passport doesn't mean that he has been deprived of his nationality (UK allows dual nationality anyways).

IMHO, and I stand to be corrected, this shouldn't be an issue.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu May 17, 2012 8:37 pm

kenfrapin wrote:It shouldnt actually as it's valid on the day of application right?
I would agree here. You are not expected to predict how long it would take for the HO to review your application.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Thu May 17, 2012 8:41 pm

Thanks guys,

While I was and am confident, I still decided it was best to check with you all first. It should not be an issue, he is British (with a valid or expired passport), and at the time of application he will hold a completely valid passport. I was looking for some re-affirmation of what I believed to be a straight forward case.

Cheers
KP

juliajules1979
- thin ice -

Post by juliajules1979 » Fri May 18, 2012 8:14 am

Expired passport is fine, one of my referees passports was expired when I made the application and there was no problem.