ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Still Waiting After 8 & half months

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

RonK
Newly Registered

Still Waiting After 8 & half months

Post by RonK » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:52 am

Dear All,

I applied for naturalization in May of 2012 and am still waiting to hear back from the Home Office. I wrote to them and they say, no decision has yet been taken and that they can not tell me when they will process my application. Am not sure if there is anything else I can do, appreciate you sharing any thoughts you may have.

Best,
Ron

Eligibility criteria: 3 Years Work Permit + 2 on Tier 1 + 1 ILR
Method of application: NCS (Newcastle Upon Tyne)
Date of receipt by UKBA: 11 May 2012
Date of debit of fees: 17 May 2012
Date of receipt of acknowledgement: 21 May 2012
Date of receipt of approval: Waiting
Date of Ceremony: Still waiting

jagait

Post by jagait » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:50 am

Can you give more details on any reasons you see on why your application may be taking long?

Any gaps in residence?
any criminal convictions etc.?
Name changes?
etc.

RonK
Newly Registered

Post by RonK » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:57 am

Thanks Jagait.

Nope, absolutely no gaps in residence and certainly no criminal convictions either, no driving offense, no speeding tickets... perfectly clean record.

Therefore, am puzzled why its taking so long :-(

Blackhole

Post by Blackhole » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:34 pm

RonK wrote:Thanks Jagait.

Nope, absolutely no gaps in residence and certainly no criminal convictions either, no driving offense, no speeding tickets... perfectly clean record.

Therefore, am puzzled why its taking so long :-(
same here mate

a little bit worse, as approaching 15 months and NOTHING!!!!!

RonK
Newly Registered

Post by RonK » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:44 pm

Jeez! Sorry to know mate. Funny thing is, people who have applied much later have already got it! Not exactly first come first served, is it? :-(

I was wondering if there is anything else we can do, apparently writing to your local MP is a good idea, am thinking about it.

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:08 pm

RonK wrote:Not exactly first come first served, is it? :-(
I was wondering if there is anything else we can do, apparently writing to your local MP is a good idea, am thinking about it.
No, it is not first-come-first-serve - has never been. Each case is handled independently and can take anything from 2 weeks to 2 years. Duration depends on a large number of factors. That being said, 15 months is indeed one of the more extreme examples. Although I am generally opposed to writing one's MP for things which are not crucial, after waiting nearly one and a half year that is beginning to make sense.

hsmp28122006
Member of Standing

Post by hsmp28122006 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:58 pm

Blackhole

Post by Blackhole » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:19 pm

hsmp28122006 wrote:Scares me: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21170495
just contacted them and same again UNDER CONSIDERATION !!!!!

BigSam

Post by BigSam » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:20 pm

Sorry to hear that buddy... When you wrote to your MP, did he/she write to the UKBA on your behalf?
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it...

Blackhole

Post by Blackhole » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:40 pm

BigSam wrote:Sorry to hear that buddy... When you wrote to your MP, did he/she write to the UKBA on your behalf?
have done it all
wrote to MP, Directly to them no luck
guess nothing to do just wait

heard that some guys waited more than 2 years, and that's scary if true

BigSam

Post by BigSam » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:09 pm

I can only say good luck lad!!

It makes my wait of just over 3 months feel so insignificant :(
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it...

jagait

Post by jagait » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:18 pm

RonK, have you moved address?

RonK
Newly Registered

Post by RonK » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:44 am

Nope! My address still the same :)

aprilclub

Post by aprilclub » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:32 pm

I have always wondered whether, in these sort of situations (long delays with a clean application), it is better to make another fresh application.

It is not illegal to do so ( and there is no requirement to declare that, since there is no such question in the forms), and if the first application was simply stuck in a black hole, the new one might go through without a hitch.

Apart from the extra cost (which given the importance of success is less of an issue for many), is there a downside.

RonK
Newly Registered

Post by RonK » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:00 pm

That is an interesting idea! Certainly made me think :)

But I guess the moment they realize that its your second application (am sure they will find out pretty much on the first day, when they enter your details on to their system; potentially with the combination of name, nationality, DOB & passport number) they will probably reject it.

Am sure you will still be charged the full amount for sending the application.

But as you rightly mention, its not illegal, not to my knowledge anyway, so if you have some spare money, why not?! ... You just never know! :)

barnaby

Post by barnaby » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:11 pm

RonK wrote:I guess the moment they realize that its your second application (am sure they will find out pretty much on the first day, when they enter your details on to their system; potentially with the combination of name, nationality, DOB & passport number) they will probably reject it.
This idea also occurred to me during my wife's long wait, except that I was considering withdrawing the existing application first (and getting a partial refund). Then the second application wouldn't be rejected.
Of course, the problem then would be how to withdraw an application, when the HO is ignoring all attempts to communicate with them?!

aprilclub

Post by aprilclub » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:11 pm

Actually my approval was a few weeks late and I called up to ask

1. can I make a second application if the firs was pending and
2. How do I withdraw the first application and make a second

They said

1. You can, nothing stops you. There is no automatic rejection
2. There is no formal way to withdraw, but you can make an application to withdraw and see what happens

Bottomline, they have no procedure to deal with this situation ( 2nd application or to withdraw, because I dont think they considered someone will ever do it), and so certainly there will be no automatic rejection. I suspect, but not sure, there is no automatic cross check either.

My plan in case of delay was to~
1. send in a letter withdrawing my first application and then
2. Next day make a second one.

If the application is clean, in the very least, it will bring the old application out of the black hole where it sits. My suspicion is that some applications simply fall through the crack.

Alish60

Post by Alish60 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:13 am

hsmp28122006 wrote:Scares me: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21170495
Well it says:
The backlogs included people waiting a decade to hear if their partner had permission to live in the UK.
you have applied for BC, this is not about you, you already hold ILR or ILE and are not waiting for a decision in order to live in the UK, if you look at the comments at the bottom of the page every one in complaining about ILR not BC appication. tell me if I am wrong..

slugmeister
BANNED
Mood:

Post by slugmeister » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:10 am

I am curious, what is the country of origin for the people waiting 3 months + does that have something to do with the delay?

Blackhole

Post by Blackhole » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:00 pm

the idea of fresh application sounds interesting

In my case as I am on my 15th month, will give them another2 months as the longest period of waiting I heard of was 17 months, Unless you guys know someone who waited longer?

then if not hear from them by April I am considering the idea of a fresh application.

Any other nice ideas guys?

BigSam

Post by BigSam » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:01 pm

Yes, the fresh application sounds interesting... I don't know anybody who waited longer.

There is a process for writing a petition to the queen directly. The Home Office has a procedure for dealing with such petitions

Don't know if anybody tried this process before. The Home Office can still not give an answer as you will see in the notes, but maybe worth trying?

Alish60

Post by Alish60 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:53 pm

Blackhole wrote:the idea of fresh application sounds interesting

In my case as I am on my 15th month, will give them another2 months as the longest period of waiting I heard of was 17 months, Unless you guys know someone who waited longer?

then if not hear from them by April I am considering the idea of a fresh application.

Any other nice ideas guys?
This is ridiculous really, I am really disappointed of UKBA, they must give you a clear answer mate. have you tried this website? http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/
if you ask the UKBA a question by the law they must give you a satisfying answer.
don't give up.one thing I must tell you is UKBA expect you to contact Parliamentary Ombudsman before contacting your local PM. see this please:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/about ... complaint/
I wish you find this helpful, I am really sad for you.this is unacceptable, they should give you a clear answer, whether is approval or refusal.

Alish60

Post by Alish60 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:02 pm

BigSam wrote:Yes, the fresh application sounds interesting... I don't know anybody who waited longer.

There is a process for writing a petition to the queen directly. The Home Office has a procedure for dealing with such petitions

Don't know if anybody tried this process before. The Home Office can still not give an answer as you will see in the notes, but maybe worth trying?
\do not waste your money, you have already paid a lot of money, challenge them, remember right is not a gift, ask for your right. the law says you have the right to become a British Citizen if you fulfill the criteria, you said you don't see why they should not grant you, so challenge them. we should not think that they are giving us a favor by accepting our applications, this is our right to become BC. we been paying tax,

BigSam

Post by BigSam » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:13 pm

Alish60 wrote:\do not waste your money, you have already paid a lot of money, challenge them, remember right is not a gift, ask for your right. the law says you have the right to become a British Citizen if you fulfill the criteria, you said you don't see why they should not grant you, so challenge them. we should not think that they are giving us a favor by accepting our applications, this is our right to become BC. we been paying tax,
Thanks Alish60.. Unfortunately citizenship is not a right :(. it is granted by discretion.

"Naturalisation is at the discretion of the Home Secretary. Under s.6 of the British Nationality Act 1981, he may grant a certificate of naturalisation to a person of full age and capacity if he is satisfied that person meets the requirements set out in Schedule 1 to the Act."

Alish60

Post by Alish60 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:50 pm

BigSam wrote:
Alish60 wrote:\do not waste your money, you have already paid a lot of money, challenge them, remember right is not a gift, ask for your right. the law says you have the right to become a British Citizen if you fulfill the criteria, you said you don't see why they should not grant you, so challenge them. we should not think that they are giving us a favor by accepting our applications, this is our right to become BC. we been paying tax,
Thanks Alish60.. Unfortunately citizenship is not a right :(. it is granted by discretion.

"Naturalisation is at the discretion of the Home Secretary. Under s.6 of the British Nationality Act 1981, he may grant a certificate of naturalisation to a person of full age and capacity if he is satisfied that person meets the requirements set out in Schedule 1 to the Act."
most welcome mate,Well you are right,I am being emotional I am pissed of for you and people like you and myself mate. I am going to apply next week and not sure hoe long I will be waiting, it is the worst thing in the world when you don't know when and what is going to happen.I wish you all the best mate, please keep us informed when you heard from them.