ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling from and to the UK after receiving citizenship certificate for a child

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

erggo
Newly Registered
Russia

Travelling from and to the UK after receiving citizenship certificate for a child

Post by erggo » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:17 pm

Hi all,

My 1yo son received a citizenship certificate few days ago(because of his age he didn't need to visit ceremony, so we couldn't control time he received it).
The problem is we bought tickets to Russia to visit his grandparents some time ago and travel is planned in early October(we have 2 weeks) and we don't exactly know how it's best for him to return to the UK.

From my understanding his BRP isn't a valid travel document anymore and we need to either apply for his British passport or apply for emergency travel document while staying in Russia.

The only option to get passport in time is to apply for fast track but all next week appointment slots are available at Belfast only :shock: .
Emergency travel document may be not an option, since we planned to stay only for 4 days in Russia, including weekend.

Is there anything than I overlooked or I have only these two options in order to travel in these dates?

Thank you

secret.simon

Re: Travelling from and to the UK after receiving citizenship certificate for a child

Post by secret.simon » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:38 pm

erggo wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:17 pm
apply for emergency travel document while staying in Russia.
Emergency Travel Documents are only issued to people who have already held a British passport.

If the child has never had a British passport, that is not an option.

As Russian citizens are, to the best of my knowledge, visa nationals, the child may not be allowed to board the flight without a British passport or a BRP.
erggo wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:17 pm
his BRP isn't a valid travel document anymore
Correct, but the airline staff will not be able to verify that. They will only be visually inspecting the BRP. You will need the BRP to board the flight. Once you arrive at the airport in the UK, you can show the registration certificate to the Immigration Officer. Be aware that this approach may cause delays for the child and parents at the airport on arrival.

Be aware that withholding the BRP risks a £1000 fine. Alternatively, you can try to get the fast-track appointment in Belfast.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

erggo
Newly Registered
Russia

Re: Travelling from and to the UK after receiving citizenship certificate for a child

Post by erggo » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:02 am

Thank you for suggestions, secren.simon.

We managed to book an appointment at a closer passport office by refreshing the appointment selection page. It seems people occasionally cancel their appointments and they become available for others.