ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling to country of origin

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

jaydi786
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Travelling to country of origin

Post by jaydi786 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:31 pm

I was granted refugee status as a dependent in 2014. I was then granted ILR to remin in 2019 on my own right. My country of origin is Pakistan. I gained my British citizenship (through naturalisation)and then British passport in March 2021. my brother has applied for citizenship through naturalisation and is awaiting a decision. Meanwhile my mother is yet to apply for British citizenship.
I am studying Medicine and wanted to do a placement this summer (July-September) in a hospital to gain experience. However due to restrictions and limited places I have been unable to secure a placement in any local hospitals (in the UK) and have received rejections from other hospitals. However there are certain doctors in Islamabad who are willing to take me on for this summer. This would of course mean me travelling back to Pakistan. What kind of consequences can this have on my British citizenship and also will it impact the applications of my brother and mother?

Kind regards

HCJNL

Re: Travelling to country of origin

Post by HCJNL » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:58 am

I think you need professional advice before returning to Pakistan. You are aware of the risks to your British citizenship. These risks are real. The Status Review Unit (SRU) exists to examine cases like yours.
I do not know how large these risks are in practice. But they will depend on your individual circumstances. So only a professional can advise you.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:33 pm

Also note that as a dual citizen travelling on your British passport you normally don't qualify for UK consular support in your country of origin.
British citizenship is no guarantee for safe travels.
https://www.gov.uk/dual-citizenship
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

London22
Member of Standing

Post by London22 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:53 pm

jaydi786 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:31 pm
I was granted refugee status as a dependent in 2014. I was then granted ILR to remin in 2019 on my own right. My country of origin is Pakistan. I gained my British citizenship (through naturalisation)and then British passport in March 2021. my brother has applied for citizenship through naturalisation and is awaiting a decision. Meanwhile my mother is yet to apply for British citizenship.
I am studying Medicine and wanted to do a placement this summer (July-September) in a hospital to gain experience. However due to restrictions and limited places I have been unable to secure a placement in any local hospitals (in the UK) and have received rejections from other hospitals. However there are certain doctors in Islamabad who are willing to take me on for this summer. This would of course mean me travelling back to Pakistan. What kind of consequences can this have on my British citizenship and also will it impact the applications of my brother and mother?

Kind regards
Hello
Jaydi786
There isn't a straightforward answer for this .But in practice generally many refugees do return to countries of origin at some points after gaining hosting countries nationalities .If the reason for your fear is finished then you can go without any trouble .But if the reason for claiming asylum is still there then cautiously you can still go as you aren't a refugee any more but questions can be asked on return.Your need to go there is very important for your profession then it is worth going.If HO applies refugee conditions then it is weird & nonsensical & can be challenged.The current position in the HO is ultra hostile towards migrants.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:26 am

jaydi786 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:31 pm
However due to restrictions and limited places I have been unable to secure a placement in any local hospitals (in the UK) and have received rejections from other hospitals.
Have you looked at Ireland, both North and the Republic? And at other nations within the CTA (Isle of Man and the Channels Islands)?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

jaydi786
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by jaydi786 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:44 pm

Thank you all for your kind responses. And I think its best if I get advice fro a solicitor before I make a decision.