ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com


Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Born Child After Mother on ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push

mickster
Newly Registered
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:16 am
Mood:
Pakistan

Re: UK Born Child After Mother on ILR

Post by mickster » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:07 pm

tier11417 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:48 pm
mickster wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:24 pm
tier11417 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:10 pm
mickster wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:43 am


Im confused, why will you need mothers ILR BRP in 10-15 years time when the mother will have a British passport or naturalisation certificate by then?

https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-adult-pa ... d-to-apply
Because the baby is born when mother had ILR and the claim to baby’s British Nationality is Mother’s ILR not Naturalisation Certificate or British Passport.

apologies but still struggling to understand ... and am asking because i am in the exact same situation ... will my baby have to prove in 10-15 years time why they got a UK passport at the time of birth (2019) and how they qualified for it and why they are still british? surely the HO would have these details if they look at previous applications and wouldnt that be a simple case of renewing the passports rather than starting a full new case of citizenship? surely keeping a BRP (which the HO ask for after naturalisation) is not the right way ... or is it and with it we are risking fines?
The baby might struggle in the future to prove his/her claim to British Nationality as his/her claim is the mother’s ILR. You are right that by law you have to return the mother’s BRP after naturalisation. However, I will be writing to HO for the permission to let us retain the mother’s BRP for child’s future sake. I will update this thread when I do so in a couple of months. I would still not return the mother’s ILR even if I risk a fine. I am quite hopeful HO will give permission as per the situation. No one has ever reported such a fine anyways.

Please read vinny’s comment above and sticky note for more clarification.

Thank you - definitely going to follow the same ... why risk a childs future nationality status

User avatar
CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Posts: 11100
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:51 pm
Pakistan

Re: UK Born Child After Mother on ILR

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:16 pm

Dear all,

My both daughter’s British Passport have newborn baby photos on and the passport is valid for 5 years. Of course the baby face changes with time. Do we need to carry any birth certificate or how will they recognise its the same child?

Do we need to update the photo before 5 years?

Thank you
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

User avatar
alterhase58
Respected Guru
Posts: 4049
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:02 pm
Location: UK Bucks
Germany

Re: UK Born Child After Mother on ILR

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:04 pm

You will need to apply for a new passport with new pictures.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice - they will be ignored

User avatar
CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Posts: 11100
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:51 pm
Pakistan

Re: UK Born Child After Mother on ILR

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:10 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:04 pm
You will need to apply for a new passport with new pictures.

Thank you for your reply. We need to apply for a new passport even before the 5 year expiry just cz the passport has baby photo on? 🥴

Thank you
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

User avatar
alterhase58
Respected Guru
Posts: 4049
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:02 pm
Location: UK Bucks
Germany

Re: UK Born Child After Mother on ILR

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:15 pm

There is no requirement in the HMPO regulations to get a new passport once appearance changes before the expiry date, whether children or adults.Clearly it's down to the border officials here and abroad to accept your passports, but I wouldn't worry, they are used to this.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice - they will be ignored

User avatar
CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Posts: 11100
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:51 pm
Pakistan

Re: UK Born Child After Mother on ILR

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:16 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:15 pm
There is no requirement in the HMPO regulations to get a new passport once appearance changes before the expiry date, whether children or adults.Clearly it's down to the border officials here and abroad to accept your passports, but I wouldn't worry, they are used to this.
Appreciate your reply. Thank you 😊
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

VWS
Junior Member
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:46 am

Re: UK Born Child After Mother on ILR

Post by VWS » Sun May 12, 2019 9:33 am

tier11417 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:21 am
Update: My baby has received British Passport. All I sent was mother’s original ILR, original UK Birth Certificate with a cover letter. It only took 11 days. Thank you for all the help CR001 and Vinny.

We will retain the mother’s ILR now for future baby’s claim to British Nationality.
Hi Tier 11417

I was just going through the post. I have recently received my ILR and also my baby's due date is in couple of months time. I was also planning to apply the passport directly by sending my ILR & birth certificate.

Can you please explain if a British Passport is made for the child, why would he/she need to claim British nationality later on?

User avatar
CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Posts: 11100
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:51 pm
Pakistan

Re: UK Born Child After Mother on ILR

Post by CULLINAN » Sun May 12, 2019 10:41 am

VWS wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:33 am
tier11417 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:21 am
Update: My baby has received British Passport. All I sent was mother’s original ILR, original UK Birth Certificate with a cover letter. It only took 11 days. Thank you for all the help CR001 and Vinny.

We will retain the mother’s ILR now for future baby’s claim to British Nationality.
Hi Tier 11417

I was just going through the post. I have recently received my ILR and also my baby's due date is in couple of months time. I was also planning to apply the passport directly by sending my ILR & birth certificate.

Can you please explain if a British Passport is made for the child, why would he/she need to claim British nationality later on?
The baby’s claim to British Nationality will be your settled status that is ILR. Please read the post from the start and sticky notes vinny posted to understand better.

Just having a British Passport is not a claim to British Citizenship in itself.

You should also retain your ILR for baby’s future sake as your ILR BRP will be baby’s claim to British Citizenship.

I will be writing to HO soon to retain my wife’s ILR after naturalisation is approved.

I will update this thread then.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

VWS
Junior Member
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:46 am

Re: UK Born Child After Mother on ILR

Post by VWS » Sun May 12, 2019 11:55 am

Many thanks for clarifying that as I didn't even thought about it.

Yes I have read the thread from the start including Vinny's comments and attachments as well.

Yes please I would highly appreciate that if you will update this once you will go through the process and also will UKVI will allow to do that or not.

Many thanks.

User avatar
CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Posts: 11100
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:51 pm
Pakistan

Re: UK Born Child After Mother on ILR

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:03 am

Update: My wife got her British Citizenship approved today. Once she attends the ceremony, I will be sending Home Office the letter to retain her BRP for the British baby's sake. Will update this thread in due course as it may benefit any other member.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

User avatar
CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Posts: 11100
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:51 pm
Pakistan

Re: UK Born Child After Mother on ILR

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:52 pm

Update: I have retained my wife’s ILR and sent a letter instead requesting for permission to keep it.

Will update once I receive a reply.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

VWS
Junior Member
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:46 am

Re: UK Born Child After Mother on ILR

Post by VWS » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:03 am

Great... thanks for the update.

Will await to further response from them. Kindly do let us know :)

a rough idea what you wrote in the letter. I mean did you used any references of any kind of regulations or was it just a plain drafted letter.

Really appreciate your effort :)

User avatar
CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Posts: 11100
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:51 pm
Pakistan

Re: UK Born Child After Mother on ILR

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:17 pm

VWS wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:03 am
Great... thanks for the update.

Will await to further response from them. Kindly do let us know :)

a rough idea what you wrote in the letter. I mean did you used any references of any kind of regulations or was it just a plain drafted letter.

Really appreciate your effort :)
I will share a drafted template of the letter once I receive a response. I used the provisions as mentioned by Vinny in the thread above to draft the letter.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

User avatar
CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Posts: 11100
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:51 pm
Pakistan

Re: UK Born Child After Mother on ILR

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:02 pm

Hi Vinny,

I am awaiting a reply in regards to the retention of my wife’s BRP from the relevant department. It has been 3 weeks but I have not heard back yet.

I reckon, I can not do much but wait only for a reply.

I do have the proof of recorded delivery and I sent the letter to the same “POL BRP Returns” address. I requested to forward the letter to the relevant department as I did not know which address to use otherwise.

Question: Are you familiar with any case where the permission was granted previously?
Any suggestions as in if I should wait or send the same letter to some other address also?

Thank you for your replies.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

daar
Newly Registered
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:54 am
Location: London

Re: UK Born Child After Mother on ILR

Post by daar » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:54 pm

Hi mate

Could you share the postal address you send that letter to? I am in a similar situation and would like to keep the BRP.

Thanks
Usman

User avatar
CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Posts: 11100
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:51 pm
Pakistan

Re: UK Born Child After Mother on ILR

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:48 pm

daar wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:54 pm
Hi mate

Could you share the postal address you send that letter to? I am in a similar situation and would like to keep the BRP.

Thanks
Usman
POL Returns
P.O.Box 195
Bristol
BS20 1BT
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

daar
Newly Registered
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:54 am
Location: London

Re: UK Born Child After Mother on ILR

Post by daar » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:59 am

Thanks! Would really appreciate if you could post the letter template you used?

User avatar
CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Posts: 11100
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:51 pm
Pakistan

Re: UK Born Child After Mother on ILR

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:46 pm

daar wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:59 am
Thanks! Would really appreciate if you could post the letter template you used?
There is no template. I just drafted a letter as per the provisions quoted by Vinny in the thread above. I am still awaiting a response so I will share once I am successful.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

VWS
Junior Member
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:46 am

Re: UK Born Child After Mother on ILR

Post by VWS » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:53 pm

Hi

Hope you are doing well. Its been a long time now, haven't you received any reply yet? :idea:

daar
Newly Registered
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:54 am
Location: London

Re: UK Born Child After Mother on ILR

Post by daar » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:48 am

Hi VWS

Are you in a similar situation? I am thinking of writing a letter to HO next week stating that I want to keep the BRP indefinitely.

I am not sure how to find the sticky post where it states which info to use in the letter?

Thanks

daar
Newly Registered
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:54 am
Location: London

Re: UK Born Child After Mother on ILR

Post by daar » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:51 am

CULLINAN wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:46 pm
daar wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:59 am
Thanks! Would really appreciate if you could post the letter template you used?
There is no template. I just drafted a letter as per the provisions quoted by Vinny in the thread above. I am still awaiting a response so I will share once I am successful.
Hi Cullinan

I can’t seem to find the post where Vinny quoted the provision which can be used in the letter..

Could you help please

User avatar
CR001
Moderator
Posts: 79200
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:55 pm
Location: London
Mood:
South Africa

Re: UK Born Child After Mother on ILR

Post by CR001 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:03 am

daar wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:51 am
CULLINAN wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:46 pm
daar wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:59 am
Thanks! Would really appreciate if you could post the letter template you used?
There is no template. I just drafted a letter as per the provisions quoted by Vinny in the thread above. I am still awaiting a response so I will share once I am successful.
Hi Cullinan

I can’t seem to find the post where Vinny quoted the provision which can be used in the letter..

Could you help please
Page 1 of this topic. Link is the word "keep".
vinny wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:42 pm
1. Keep mother’s BRP-ILR?
2. Child’s Registration certificate confers child’s British citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

daar
Newly Registered
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:54 am
Location: London

Re: UK Born Child After Mother on ILR

Post by daar » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:09 am

Thank you CR001

User avatar
CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Posts: 11100
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:51 pm
Pakistan

Re: UK Born Child After Mother on ILR

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:16 am

I am not in the country I am getting back to UK next week. I will update then if I had received any reply/post yet.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

User avatar
CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Posts: 11100
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:51 pm
Pakistan

Re: UK Born Child After Mother on ILR

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:17 pm

Update: I have not received any reply yet. If anyone of you receives a reply please let me know. Thanks

Will update once/if I receive a reply.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

Locked
cron