Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UKM application experience and timeline

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

sunburn
Newbie
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:50 pm
United States of America

Re: UKM application experience and timeline

Post by sunburn » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:41 pm

hlassell wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:27 pm
Yeah I figured yours didn't due to the comment you made previously. I'm not sure why they said I should have been able to print the biometrics instructions because as you know that's incorrect. I'll post again when I get a reply to this.
My guess would be that our 'sign in to continue your application' accounts do get updated around the time they send an email with information on scheduling biometrics. However, the manner in which they're doing it isn't particularly organized, from all evidence so far.

In any case, I haven't seen a whole lot of variance in total processing times - it still takes 3-4 months typically, and those who do biometrics sooner, just wait longer to hear further.

sarlouisesmith
Newly Registered
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:58 pm
United States of America

Re: UKM application experience and timeline

Post by sarlouisesmith » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:52 pm

AngelaHawkes wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:56 am
sarlouisesmith wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:15 pm
AngelaHawkes wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:18 am
Hello,

For people who have had their UKM applications approved - did you receive your invitation for the citizenship ceremony via email or by post? Did it come from the consulate itself or from another agency?

About how long after your original acceptance letter did you get the invite for the ceremony?

Thank you!
Hi Angela,

I was curious about this too. I haven't heard anything and the 12 weeks have come and gone since I was approved. I contacted citizenship support who said they have contacted the consulate but still nothing. I'm in NY.
Hi there,
So the day after I posted this I received an email from my consulate for the ceremony. I'm in Texas. I had my ceremony just the other day! The whole process was about six months to the day. I'm sorry you've had to wait. I'm sure it will happen soon especially since you contacted the support line. Keep us posted and good luck!
Update! Someone pretty high up at the Consulate in NY phoned after hours to tell me that after looking into the matter, my citizenship certificate has been LOST in their secure transit (whaaat?) - that's why I never received a call or an email for a citizenship ceremony. To remedy the situation, they are sending the citizenship certificate directly to me and I will be able to apply for a passport immediately. So, let this be a lesson in patience but also follow-through. I waited exactly 12 weeks and then emailed.

PleasantThebest
Newbie
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:29 am
South Africa

Re: UKM application experience and timeline

Post by PleasantThebest » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:26 pm

hlassell wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:13 pm
sunburn wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:27 pm
Well, I got a response to my email! It assures me the original documents have been received and that my application is being processed . So that’s that . I guess biometrics are just going to be requested at some later time, but I’m not anxious about that - I’m glad to know they got the documents .
Interesting enough I decided to sent an email as well to get confirmation my documents were received. This is what I got back.

"Thank you for your correspondence. I can confirm that we received your documents 10-Sep-2018.
Can you confirm whether you have enrolled your biometrics yet?
Once you submitted your application, there should have been a letter to print off with instructions on how to enrol your biometrics."


Of course that's not true because the only things it gave me to print off once submitted was: supporting documents checklist, the declarations for the 2 referees, and a copy of my application. There was nothing to do with biometrics. I've responded with this information and I am waiting for another reply.
What email address did you contact them on? I've sent an email to nationalitybiometrics@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk but never received a response within 10 working days. Also tried furthernationality and never received a response. Submitted my application on 9 August.. still waiting for biometric instuctions (also no acknowledgement of receipt of my docs)

hlassell
Newly Registered
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:21 pm
Mood:
Canada

Re: UKM application experience and timeline

Post by hlassell » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:13 pm

PleasantThebest wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:26 pm

What email address did you contact them on? I've sent an email to nationalitybiometrics@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk but never received a response within 10 working days. Also tried furthernationality and never received a response. Submitted my application on 9 August.. still waiting for biometric instuctions (also no acknowledgement of receipt of my docs)
That is the email I used. I sent my email on Sept 24th and received the reply on Sept 27th. (Only saw it today as I was home sick from work and it was my work email address)

I would try sending another one.

ScotsYankee
Newly Registered
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:11 pm

Re: UKM application experience and timeline

Post by ScotsYankee » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:46 pm

Can anyone say for UKM (Romein route), is my parents marriage certificate required? I know that the marriage cert from my maternal Grandfather is, but I’ve read conflicting info about my parents. Is there a requirement that I was born in wedlock or only my Mother was?

balles
Newly Registered
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 11:48 am
Somalia

Re: UKM application experience and timeline

Post by balles » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:59 am

ScotsYankee wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:46 pm
Can anyone say for UKM (Romein route), is my parents marriage certificate required? I know that the marriage cert from my maternal Grandfather is, but I’ve read conflicting info about my parents. Is there a requirement that I was born in wedlock or only my Mother was?
It would be required to prove the surname change between your maternal grandfather, mother & ultimately you

PleasantThebest
Newbie
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:29 am
South Africa

Re: UKM application experience and timeline

Post by PleasantThebest » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:30 am

hlassell wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:13 pm
PleasantThebest wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:26 pm

What email address did you contact them on? I've sent an email to nationalitybiometrics@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk but never received a response within 10 working days. Also tried furthernationality and never received a response. Submitted my application on 9 August.. still waiting for biometric instuctions (also no acknowledgement of receipt of my docs)
That is the email I used. I sent my email on Sept 24th and received the reply on Sept 27th. (Only saw it today as I was home sick from work and it was my work email address)

I would try sending another one.
I sent another one yesterday.. will be my 3rd email to them. Hopefully will get lucky this time. I tried the paid email service (£5 odd) for applicants outside the UK which the application forms linked me to and the response was "we are not the correct department for citizenship applications". Surprise surprise. Getting worried I'm going to miss the biometrics enrolment step

hlassell
Newly Registered
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:21 pm
Mood:
Canada

Re: UKM application experience and timeline

Post by hlassell » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:26 pm

PleasantThebest wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:30 am

I sent another one yesterday.. will be my 3rd email to them. Hopefully will get lucky this time. I tried the paid email service (£5 odd) for applicants outside the UK which the application forms linked me to and the response was "we are not the correct department for citizenship applications". Surprise surprise. Getting worried I'm going to miss the biometrics enrolment step
Well how frustrating is that? I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time. And you haven't received anything via regular mail? I'm not sure if we will get the biometrics request via email or posted mail. I still haven't received a reply back to my second email.

PleasantThebest
Newbie
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:29 am
South Africa

Re: UKM application experience and timeline

Post by PleasantThebest » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:32 pm

hlassell wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:26 pm
PleasantThebest wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:30 am

I sent another one yesterday.. will be my 3rd email to them. Hopefully will get lucky this time. I tried the paid email service (£5 odd) for applicants outside the UK which the application forms linked me to and the response was "we are not the correct department for citizenship applications". Surprise surprise. Getting worried I'm going to miss the biometrics enrolment step
Well how frustrating is that? I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time. And you haven't received anything via regular mail? I'm not sure if we will get the biometrics request via email or posted mail. I still haven't received a reply back to my second email.
I just received the biometrics email a few minutes ago.. I'm not sure if its in response to my emails to them or just coincidence. But thank goodness. Can finally schedule an appointment. Good luck with your application.. hopefully it goes a bit more smoothly :)

hlassell
Newly Registered
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:21 pm
Mood:
Canada

Re: UKM application experience and timeline

Post by hlassell » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:35 pm

PleasantThebest wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:32 pm


I just received the biometrics email a few minutes ago.. I'm not sure if its in response to my emails to them or just coincidence. But thank goodness. Can finally schedule an appointment. Good luck with your application.. hopefully it goes a bit more smoothly :)
HA! Well that's exciting! Congrats on getting to the next step! I'll keep waiting for my email!

sunburn
Newbie
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:50 pm
United States of America

Re: UKM application experience and timeline

Post by sunburn » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:08 pm

It sounds like UKF/UKM online applicants from August are getting biometrics now, so September applicants will hopefully hear in end Oct/early Nov.

orojim
Newly Registered
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: UKM application experience and timeline

Post by orojim » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:19 am

AngelaHawkes wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:18 am
For people who have had their UKM applications approved - did you receive your invitation for the citizenship ceremony via email or by post? Did it come from the consulate itself or from another agency?

About how long after your original acceptance letter did you get the invite for the ceremony?
Here's the relevant portion of my timeline for a UKM application that I submitted in mid-September 2016:

Date of approval: 9 Jan 2017 (Royal Mail int'l signed letter and all documents rcvd 24 Jan 2017)
Ceremony invitation received: 10 March 2017, email from British Consulate-General, Los Angeles
Date of ceremony: 15 March 2017

The consulate also offered me a later date for the ceremony, but I wanted to get it done. I live in Tucson, Arizona, so the trip to L.A. was easy to make on short notice.

hlassell
Newly Registered
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:21 pm
Mood:
Canada

Re: UKM application experience and timeline

Post by hlassell » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:44 pm

sunburn wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:08 pm
It sounds like UKF/UKM online applicants from August are getting biometrics now, so September applicants will hopefully hear in end Oct/early Nov.
I received my biometrics letter today via email.

hlassell
Newly Registered
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:21 pm
Mood:
Canada

Re: UKM application experience and timeline

Post by hlassell » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:59 pm

ScottishCanadian wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:56 pm

Hello ... I reside in Vancouver and recently submitted my UKM application, which was received by UKVI on July 20, 2018. Received letter requesting biometrics via email on August 6. Information in that letter required me to enroll my biometrics through VFS Global Services plc. The link to set up an appointment with VFS Global is provided in the letter requesting biometrics. When I set up the appointment, the only locations available in Canada were: Edmonton, Halifax, Ottawa, St. John's NL, Toronto, and Vancouver. Fortunately for me I live in Vancouver and got an appointment the next day (Aug 7), but it looks like you may have to travel to Edmonton. I asked at my appointment how long it takes VFS to submit my biometrics to UKVI and they said, they've already received them -- everything is submitted electronically immediately. I haven't yet heard anything further from UKVI, but once I do I'll post my full timeline experience. Good luck with arranging your biometrics.
How are things going with your app? I had a question for you. The VFS website is a little weird. But I've registered and there aren't a lot of options to pick so I've entered the info on the letter. It hasn't brought me anywhere to book a date/time yet but its brought me to a payment page requesting 10pounds. Did you have to pay before you booked an apt?

samir thakker
Newly Registered
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:00 am
India

Re: UKM application experience and timeline

Post by samir thakker » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:15 am

Hello,

Can any one advise me that can I qualify in UKM based on following details?

1) My mother was born in 1947 in Aden having CUKC passport.
my mother applied to British high commission in mumbai based on their rights in 1997 and had issued passport of British overseas passport and after she left to uk and having full British citizen.
2) My grand parents had also CUCK passport.
3) I was born before 1983.

Awaiting feedback.

Samir

User avatar
CR001
Moderator
Posts: 48274
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:55 pm
Location: London
Mood:
South Africa

Re: UKM application experience and timeline

Post by CR001 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:21 am

samir thakker wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:15 am
Hello,

Can any one advise me that can I qualify in UKM based on following details?

1) My mother was born in 1947 in Aden having CUKC passport.
my mother applied to British high commission in mumbai based on their rights in 1997 and had issued passport of British overseas passport and after she left to uk and having full British citizen.
2) My grand parents had also CUCK passport.
3) I was born before 1983.

Awaiting feedback.

Samir
Please continue in your extensive existing topic you already have where you have been give a lot of advice already with relevant extracts and links!!!

british-citizenship/apply-british-citiz ... 58354.html
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

hlassell
Newly Registered
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:21 pm
Mood:
Canada

Re: UKM application experience and timeline

Post by hlassell » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:05 pm

Eligibility criteria: UKM
Nationality: Canadian
Applying from: Canada
Method of application: Online
Date of application: 08/20/2018
Payment method: Credit card
Date of receipt by UKBA: 08/21/2018
Date money gone off account: 08/20/2018 (same day app was sent online!)
Date of acknowledgement: 08/21/2018 (by email)
Date of letter requesting biometrics: 09/10/2018
Biometrics done: 11/06/2018 **Booked apt for November - need time to set up travel**
Date of approval:
Date of ceremony:
Date applied for passports:
Date passports received:

ScottishCanadian
Newly Registered
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:28 pm
Canada

Re: UKM application experience and timeline

Post by ScottishCanadian » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:16 am

hlassell wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:59 pm
ScottishCanadian wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:56 pm

Hello ... I reside in Vancouver and recently submitted my UKM application, which was received by UKVI on July 20, 2018. Received letter requesting biometrics via email on August 6. Information in that letter required me to enroll my biometrics through VFS Global Services plc. The link to set up an appointment with VFS Global is provided in the letter requesting biometrics. When I set up the appointment, the only locations available in Canada were: Edmonton, Halifax, Ottawa, St. John's NL, Toronto, and Vancouver. Fortunately for me I live in Vancouver and got an appointment the next day (Aug 7), but it looks like you may have to travel to Edmonton. I asked at my appointment how long it takes VFS to submit my biometrics to UKVI and they said, they've already received them -- everything is submitted electronically immediately. I haven't yet heard anything further from UKVI, but once I do I'll post my full timeline experience. Good luck with arranging your biometrics.
How are things going with your app? I had a question for you. The VFS website is a little weird. But I've registered and there aren't a lot of options to pick so I've entered the info on the letter. It hasn't brought me anywhere to book a date/time yet but its brought me to a payment page requesting 10pounds. Did you have to pay before you booked an apt?
Hi hlassell ... Yes, I did have to pay 10 pounds by credit card before I could book the appointment. I agree the VFS website is a little weird, but in the end there were no glitches. It just took longer at my appt than I figured -- they give you a half-hour time slot so I figured I'd be in and out in 30 minutes. But at the Vancouver office they were running behind and I was actually there almost 2 hours.

That biometrics appt was August 7th ... then I heard nothing, nothing, nothing until last week. I am moving out of town next week and was getting worried I wouldn't receive my documents back before I move, so on Sept 29 I emailed nationalityenquiries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk to advise them I'm moving, and that they would have to FedEx back my documents before Oct 16 with the prepaid envelope/completed return waybill I sent with my application, or they would have to complete a new waybill with my new address. I guess the Home Office didn't want to complete a new waybill, so I received an email Oct 8 advising that my documents were ready to be picked up by courier and my application was successful!! :D They advised I had to call the courier though, and attached a full-page list of instructions that I had to give FedEx (specific pick-up times, phone numbers the courier had to call when they arrived at the Home Office, etc) -- it was a bit surprising. But I received my documents back 2 days later on Oct 10th with an approval letter.

Now the letter says I have to wait up to 12 weeks for a citizenship ceremony invitation from the local consulate. After 12 weeks, if I haven't received the invitation, I have to email the Home Office.

Home you get your biometrics appt soon and don't have to travel too far. Good luck with the rest of the process.

hlassell
Newly Registered
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:21 pm
Mood:
Canada

Re: UKM application experience and timeline

Post by hlassell » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:56 pm

ScottishCanadian wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:16 am

Hi hlassell ... Yes, I did have to pay 10 pounds by credit card before I could book the appointment. I agree the VFS website is a little weird, but in the end there were no glitches. It just took longer at my appt than I figured -- they give you a half-hour time slot so I figured I'd be in and out in 30 minutes. But at the Vancouver office they were running behind and I was actually there almost 2 hours.
Well I hope they aren't going to be that far behind when I'm there! lol I booked a flight with FlairAir (hope for the best!) at 8am to get to Edmonton at 9:40am. I picked the 12-12:30pm time slot for my biometrics apt And then my flight home is at 4:30pm that same day. Yeah, cause sadly I had no option to do them here in Manitoba. Oh well. I'm just excited to be at the next step!

hlassell
Newly Registered
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:21 pm
Mood:
Canada

Re: UKM application experience and timeline

Post by hlassell » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:25 pm

ScottishCanadian wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:16 am
But I received my documents back 2 days later on Oct 10th with an approval letter.

Now the letter says I have to wait up to 12 weeks for a citizenship ceremony invitation from the local consulate. After 12 weeks, if I haven't received the invitation, I have to email the Home Office.

Home you get your biometrics appt soon and don't have to travel too far. Good luck with the rest of the process.

That's awesome that you got your documents back so fast AND with the approval letter! :) Congrats! Please keep us updated on when you receive your ceremony invitation!

Post Reply
cron