ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UKM application experience and timeline

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

luthersnowak
United States of America

Re: UKM application experience and timeline

Post by luthersnowak » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:14 pm

sunburn wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:51 am
luthersnowak wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:17 am
sunburn wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:43 pm
Applicants from US, how long did you take to hear back from the email address to which you request your biometrics preferred dates and times ?
I heard back about 2 months after I submitted my application. Case created June 25th, biometrics confirmation email August 28th.
Thanks, I believe you’re referring to the time from application date to biometrics request email. That took me two months too, but I’m asking how long it takes for the UKVI email address to get back to the applicant with the confirmed dates for the biometrics once you respond to their request to schedule biometrics.
My apologies. I misunderstood what you were asking. I received the initial Biometrics request on August 22nd, and received a confirmation email on August 28th.

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:09 pm

Thank you rhino47 and luthersnowak!

hlassell
Mood:
Canada

Post by hlassell » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:41 pm

I did my biometrics on November 6th. I sent an email to UKVI the other day to confirm they have been received. This was the reply.

"I can confirm that your biometrics were updated onto our system on 14th November 2018. Your application has now been forwarded to a “queue” awaiting a caseworker. If they require anything else, then they will contact you in due course. Unfortunately, I cannot put a timescale on the application."

So it's just the waiting game now. :)

luthersnowak
United States of America

Post by luthersnowak » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:35 pm

hlassell wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:41 pm
I did my biometrics on November 6th. I sent an email to UKVI the other day to confirm they have been received. This was the reply.

"I can confirm that your biometrics were updated onto our system on 14th November 2018. Your application has now been forwarded to a “queue” awaiting a caseworker. If they require anything else, then they will contact you in due course. Unfortunately, I cannot put a timescale on the application."

What email address were you able to contact UKVI through. I have submitted several enquiries to the "Contact Centre" (paid for each of them) and I keep getting a generic response with little to no information. When I respond to that, They redirect me back to the website I initially submitted the inquiry on. Truly, I feel like the people manning the contact centre truly have no training at all. It's been 5 months since I submitted my application, which I understand is well within the expected timeframe. Mostly I'd just like to know when I can get my passport back. I kind of need it.

balles
Somalia

Post by balles » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:47 pm

hlassell wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:41 pm

I received the same email, verbatim, after I complained about delays in getting an appointment for my biometrics. It is just a waiting game from this point onwards

hlassell
Mood:
Canada

Post by hlassell » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:01 pm

luthersnowak wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:35 pm

What email address were you able to contact UKVI through. I have submitted several enquiries to the "Contact Centre" (paid for each of them) and I keep getting a generic response with little to no information. When I respond to that, They redirect me back to the website I initially submitted the inquiry on. Truly, I feel like the people manning the contact centre truly have no training at all. It's been 5 months since I submitted my application, which I understand is well within the expected timeframe. Mostly I'd just like to know when I can get my passport back. I kind of need it.
NationalityBiometricsOverseas@homeoffice.gov.uk

I've never paid to send an email. Hopefully if you send an email here they can get you an answer!

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:09 pm

The UKM timelines appear to have materially changed since the online application system came into being, and since the Romein case was decided . In the past, the process involved biometrics being requested within days of application , followed by decisions about 3-4 months after application . Now biometrics are being routinely sought 2 months after application (including in my case) and it’s not clear how much longer the time to final decision will be .

luthersnowak
United States of America

Post by luthersnowak » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:10 pm

sunburn wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:09 pm
The UKM timelines appear to have materially changed since the online application system came into being, and since the Romein case was decided . In the past, the process involved biometrics being requested within days of application , followed by decisions about 3-4 months after application . Now biometrics are being routinely sought 2 months after application (including in my case) and it’s not clear how much longer the time to final decision will be .
It definitely seems to have become a little less efficient. UKVI New York was handling all of the UKM applications in the US. I received an email indicating they were scaling back services at the New York consulate, and transferring the cases back to the UK. My case was one that was transferred. I applied back in June. I think that has caused a delay in the process. The only reason I received that info was because I had emailed requesting info about missing documentation back in October (turns out it wasn't missing after all). I haven't heard anything from anyone since. It's really frustrating. Not to sound ungrateful, but I really need my passport and birth certificate back. As it is I've had to postpone a trip, and had to decline interviewing for a promotion, as it would require travel that I can't complete until I have my passport back.

balles
Somalia

Post by balles » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:55 pm

hlassell wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:01 pm
luthersnowak wrote:

I've never paid to send an email. Hopefully if you send an email here they can get you an answer!
No charge to send an email to that address. Took them a week exactly to respond

luthersnowak
United States of America

Post by luthersnowak » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:33 pm

hlassell wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:01 pm
luthersnowak wrote:

Thank you for that info! I received a response this morning indicating my application had been approved and ceremony pending! My documents were dispatched on Nov. 21st. Thank you again!

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:26 pm

Congrats luthersnowak!

Updating my own:

Eligibility criteria: UKM (Mother born in UK, not Romein route)
Nationality: United States
Applying from: Unites States
Method of application: Online. Document posting TBD
Date of application: Sept 6, 2018
Payment method: Credit card
Date of receipt by UKVI: Sept 6, 2018 (online)
Date money gone off account: Sept 6, 2018 (online)
Date of UKVI acknowledgement email: Sept 7, 2018
Date of emailed letter requesting biometrics: Nov 19 2018
Biometrics date: Dec 3 2018
Date of approval: PENDING
Date of ceremony: PENDING
Date applied for passports: PENDING
Date passports received: PENDING

hlassell
Mood:
Canada

Post by hlassell » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:42 pm

luthersnowak wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:33 pm

Thank you for that info! I received a response this morning indicating my application had been approved and ceremony pending! My documents were dispatched on Nov. 21st. Thank you again!
That's exciting news! Congrats! :D

bletchlypark
United States of America

Post by bletchlypark » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:34 pm

New here and recently started to pull all my documents together for UKM application. I have to say this process seems a bit overwhelming, but I am trying to break it down into manageable steps.

I didn't want to trouble my mom by asking to borrow her Birth Certificate for 6 months, so I ordered a copy from the GRO about a month ago, it's supposed to arrive this week.

I renewed my US passport, so that is ready to send with the application (it was expired).

My mom is sending an older expired passport.

I have my Birth Cert obviously, I will send the original but ordered another copy just in case. My Birth cert lists my Mom's maiden name, so I don't think I need to send a marriage licence?

When you fill out the application online, does it actually get processed online or do you just print out a copy to mail with all the documents? How do I get my documents back? Do I need to send additional funds for them to mail back.

What I am reading seems to indicate this process takes about 6 months, is that right? I am thinking I can do the ceremony at the British Consulate in Atlanta, GA. Has anyone done that before?

Also, what is the whole deal with bio-metrics, and how much is that going to cost? Where can I go in the Southeast US to get that done?

Do most people send in the paperwork via airmail or some delivery service like FedEx or DHL?

I am sure I will have more questions, and I will post an update when I actually send in the paperwork.

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:57 pm

* I renewed my US passport, so that is ready to send with the application (it was expired).

Not required in the original. Several people - myself included - sent color photocopies, some notarized/certified. I didn't certify my copy. I just explain in my included cover letter that I travel regularly.

* so I don't think I need to send a marriage licence

If your mom's name matches in your BC and her BC/passport, that should be enough.

* does it actually get processed online or do you just print out a copy to mail with all the documents?

You get a checklist at the end that you enclose. You can also print out and enclose the summary information at the end of the online process (which I did). The checklist also tells you the exact address to post your documents to.

* How do I get my documents back? Do I need to send additional funds for them to mail back.

I enclosed a self addressed FedEx label with my Fedex account information on it to bill me. But if you don't enclose any, your originals are sent back in a Royal Mail envelope, at no additional cost beyond the GBP80 you pay online at the end.

* Also, what is the whole deal with bio-metrics, and how much is that going to cost? Where can I go in the Southeast US to get that done?

Nothing. You get an email from them asking you to pick from a choice of USCIS centers near you, and offer dates and times that suit you, and they make the appointment for you and send a confirmation letter attached to an email, that you take with you . Of course when you do this, you need ID, and the letter lists your primary ID as your current US passport number from the application, so I find it best not to send the original passport.

* I am thinking I can do the ceremony at the British Consulate in Atlanta, GA. Has anyone done that before?

The online application asks you for your choice of British consular mission where you'd like to finish the process.

* Do most people send in the paperwork via airmail or some delivery service like FedEx or DHL?

I used FedEx and included a paid return label within as mentioned above. I haven't gotten my papers back (I just got my biometrics date) but it should work.

Shaun45
South Africa

Post by Shaun45 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:53 am

sunburn wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:57 pm
* I renewed my US passport, so that is ready to send with the application (it was expired).

Not required in the original. Several people - myself included - sent color photocopies, some notarized/certified. I didn't certify my copy. I just explain in my included cover letter that I travel regularly.

* so I don't think I need to send a marriage licence

If your mom's name matches in your BC and her BC/passport, that should be enough.

* does it actually get processed online or do you just print out a copy to mail with all the documents?

You get a checklist at the end that you enclose. You can also print out and enclose the summary information at the end of the online process (which I did). The checklist also tells you the exact address to post your documents to.

* How do I get my documents back? Do I need to send additional funds for them to mail back.

I enclosed a self addressed FedEx label with my Fedex account information on it to bill me. But if you don't enclose any, your originals are sent back in a Royal Mail envelope, at no additional cost beyond the GBP80 you pay online at the end.

* Also, what is the whole deal with bio-metrics, and how much is that going to cost? Where can I go in the Southeast US to get that done?

Nothing. You get an email from them asking you to pick from a choice of USCIS centers near you, and offer dates and times that suit you, and they make the appointment for you and send a confirmation letter attached to an email, that you take with you . Of course when you do this, you need ID, and the letter lists your primary ID as your current US passport number from the application, so I find it best not to send the original passport.

* I am thinking I can do the ceremony at the British Consulate in Atlanta, GA. Has anyone done that before?

The online application asks you for your choice of British consular mission where you'd like to finish the process.

* Do most people send in the paperwork via airmail or some delivery service like FedEx or DHL?

I used FedEx and included a paid return label within as mentioned above. I haven't gotten my papers back (I just got my biometrics date) but it should work.
I applied from Cape Town, South Africa and it took just over three months to process my application. I sent my documents with DHL.

balles
Somalia

Post by balles » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:29 pm

So yesterday marked the completion of my British citizenship process by attending a ceremony at the residence The High Commissioner in Pretoria where I received my certificate of registration. Coincidentally I also received the original approval letter from UKVI which was dated 1 October 2018. My notification from the Consulate to attend the ceremony was dated 7 November 2018. So that makes it 6 weeks between approval and invitation. The letter does provide another email address to contact should you have not been notified or invited to attend a ceremony within 12 weeks of your approval letter. It is citizenship.support@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk should anyone still be in limbo waiting to hear. I’ve sent off for my passport today so hope to get that in a few weeks. Good luck to all those still waiting

bletchlypark
United States of America

Post by bletchlypark » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:57 pm

sunburn wrote:
That is very good to know, do you think it is any faster if you send in the original? I don't have any plans to leave the US any time soon, so I don't really need it. However, it's always nice to have just in case.
sunburn wrote:
Yeah her maiden name is on my BC and her BC, obviously, but her Passport probably has her married last name on it. I'm thinking if both names match on the BCs I should be fine. Somewhere in her passport file I am sure they have her maiden name... If I have to order a copy of the marriage license that will just delay things more.
sunburn wrote:
It looks like its about $60 each way with DHL. So I will probably do that, although I wonder how much difference a couple days makes since this takes like 6 months anyway.

bletchlypark
United States of America

Post by bletchlypark » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:58 pm

balles wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:29 pm
So yesterday marked the completion of my British citizenship process by attending a ceremony at the residence The High Commissioner in Pretoria where I received my certificate of registration. Coincidentally I also received the original approval letter from UKVI which was dated 1 October 2018. My notification from the Consulate to attend the ceremony was dated 7 November 2018. So that makes it 6 weeks between approval and invitation. The letter does provide another email address to contact should you have not been notified or invited to attend a ceremony within 12 weeks of your approval letter. It is citizenship.support@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk should anyone still be in limbo waiting to hear. I’ve sent off for my passport today so hope to get that in a few weeks. Good luck to all those still waiting
Congratulations!

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:44 pm

bletchlypark wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:57 pm
That is very good to know, do you think it is any faster if you send in the original? I don't have any plans to leave the US any time soon, so I don't really need it. However, it's always nice to have just in case.
No, I don't think there's any insight into what makes any particular application faster. luthersnowak here has sent his application with his passport in the original, and he's been waiting longer than others who I think sent a copy.

I personally don't care if it takes longer since I need the passport to travel, and you would appreciate it as ID for your biometrics - the invitation letter will list your US passport number. At least, it does so for mine.
bletchlypark wrote:
Yeah her maiden name is on my BC and her BC, obviously, but her Passport probably has her married last name on it. I'm thinking if both names match on the BCs I should be fine. Somewhere in her passport file I am sure they have her maiden name... If I have to order a copy of the marriage license that will just delay things more.
Well I'm not sure how you'd handle her passport having a married name but her BC name matching yours. In my case I did not send her passport since there wasn't one - she left UK as a child on her mother's passport, and I said so in the cover letter.
bletchlypark wrote:
It looks like its about $60 each way with DHL. So I will probably do that, although I wonder how much difference a couple days makes since this takes like 6 months anyway.
I don't think FedEx cost me so much. About $35 I think. The choice is your call - some chose the cheapest option and got things back just fine anyway.

bletchlypark
United States of America

Post by bletchlypark » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:49 am

Strange when I looked up FedEx it was like $90 each way. But I don’t have an account or anything.

Shaun45
South Africa

Post by Shaun45 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:33 am

balles wrote:
Congratulations on getting your citizenship! It must be a relief.

My citizenship ceremony is scheduled for next month at the residence of the British High Commisioner in Cape Town. Do they take photos of your citizenship ceremony? Is it a group ceremony or do you take the oath individually. I would like a photo of this memorable occasion.

balles
Somalia

Post by balles » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:25 am

Shaun45 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:33 am
balles wrote:
Congratulations on getting your citizenship! It must be a relief.

My citizenship ceremony is scheduled for next month at the residence of the British High Commisioner in Cape Town. Do they take photos of your citizenship ceremony? Is it a group ceremony or do you take the oath individually. I would like a photo of this memorable occasion.
Congratulations Shaun45!! The ceremony was conducted by the Vice-Consul. It is a group ceremony but the oath of allegiance is done individually (your name is called out and you make the oath in front of the Vice -Consul), where after you are given your certificate of registration. There were no photographers so you'll have to do your own thing. The ceremony was followed by tea/coffee and scones. Good luck!

Shaun45
South Africa

Post by Shaun45 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:32 am

Thanks balles 😀 Its good to know what the proceedings are. The tea and scones refreshments is a nice British touch. 😉 Perhaps someone can take a picture for me.

balles
Somalia

Post by balles » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:01 pm

Shaun45 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:32 am
Thanks balles 😀 Its good to know what the proceedings are. The tea and scones refreshments is a nice British touch. 😉 Perhaps someone can take a picture for me.
The High Commissioner’s residence in Pretoria has a 6 ft oil painting of Her Majesty, in her coronation robes, on one of the walls in the reception area. I got the Vice-Consul to take a picture of me next to that. I am sure she or someone will oblige at your ceremony.

hlassell
Mood:
Canada

Post by hlassell » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:44 pm

balles wrote:
So yesterday marked the completion of my British citizenship process by attending a ceremony at the residence The High Commissioner in Pretoria where I received my certificate of registration.
Congratulations! :)