ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

When can we apply for child citizenship?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

migrant_worker
Newly Registered
Mood:
South Africa

When can we apply for child citizenship?

Post by migrant_worker » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:26 pm

Hello

I got ILR exactly 12 months ago and my wife and daughter (less than 6 years age) got their ILR last week.
We all are born outside of UK and Europe, and we all now have ILR - although various durations on each.

We want to apply for Child citizenship, and this is what we have found, although told to check on this forum.

- I have to apply for naturalisation, online form will be AN.
- I have to add my child, online form will automatically adapt itself.
- My wife has to wait 12 months on her ILR before she can apply for naturalisation.

With regards to adding Child on my form, it will be discretionary and there is no guarantee it will be considered, as per following quote I got from a Facebook group:
Where one or both parents are applying for British citizenship they may apply for one or more children who are not automatically British at birth to be registered as British citizens as part of a “family application”. Children in this category will be considered at the Home Secretary’s discretion and will usually be registered only if both the parents are granted or already hold British citizenship, or if one parent holds British citizenship and the other is settled in the UK.
With regards to Life in UK - it is permanent and we don't have to do it again.

With regards to Knowledge of English - I can reuse my IELTS Life Skills B1 as per the following quote I got from Facebook group:
A person who successfully made an application for indefinite leave to remain on the basis of a B1 level qualification can meet the English language requirement for naturalisation without needing to pass another qualification. This is regardless of whether the original qualification is on the current SELT list
Can you please advise whether it is OK to apply for Child now or to wait 12 months, as currently the decision for child will become discretionary. Note none of the parents holds British citizenship at the time of application, although both are settled.

Our main objective is Child getting citizenship.

If I continue to apply, how will I know whether form has adapted itself? For example, will there be a difference in the fees?

migrant_worker
Newly Registered
Mood:
South Africa

Re: When can we apply for child citizenship?

Post by migrant_worker » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:06 pm

If I continue to apply, how will I know whether form has adapted itself? For example, will there be a difference in the fees?
If I create a test application with myself and the Child, we are asked for a fee of 2380.40 including 19.20 for biometric of each applicable person.
I believe the fee is distributed as below:
1330 + 19.2 = 1349.20
1012 + 19.2 = 1031.20

Does it mean the form has adapted itself correctly?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:04 pm

If the system quotes the correct fees then I would take it it has adjusted for the MN1 application. Also the information you are required to provide for MN1 should be different to your AN application.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

migrant_worker
Newly Registered
Mood:
South Africa

Post by migrant_worker » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:15 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:04 pm
If the system quotes the correct fees then I would take it it has adjusted for the MN1 application. Also the information you are required to provide for MN1 should be different to your AN application.
Thanks!
In terms of my original question, can you please confirm:
- I have to apply for naturalisation, online form will be AN.
- I have to add my child, online form will automatically adapt itself.
- My wife has to wait 12 months on her ILR before she can apply for naturalisation.

Can you please advise whether it is OK to apply for Child now or to wait 12 months, as currently the decision for child will become discretionary. Note none of the parents holds British citizenship at the time of application, although both are settled.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:30 pm

migrant_worker wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:15 pm
alterhase58 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:04 pm
Thanks!
In terms of my original question, can you please confirm:
- I have to apply for naturalisation, online form will be AN. Yes
- I have to add my child, online form will automatically adapt itself. Yes to MN1 as I understand.
- My wife has to wait 12 months on her ILR before she can apply for naturalisation. Yes - except if you become British citizen before the 12 months has passed she can apply from the day you became a British citizen.

Can you please advise whether it is OK to apply for Child now or to wait 12 months, as currently the decision for child will become discretionary. Note none of the parents holds British citizenship at the time of application, although both are settled. As per my understanding there is no waiting period for child registration.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.