ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Whom to alert after becoming British?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Sam_London

Whom to alert after becoming British?

Post by Sam_London » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:17 am

After becoming British, do I need to update any records? HMRC? DVLA? etc...

friendinneed

Post by friendinneed » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:53 am

As far as I am aware, it is all fairly boring and the answer is no one unless your home state doesnt allow dual nationality etc and then you will need to inform them etc

SpokenHands

Smile

Post by SpokenHands » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:39 pm

Try the neighbours, but don't be offended if they don't care.
Tell the postman?

ceyes
Newly Registered

Post by ceyes » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:50 am

1. You have to get your Driving Licence replaced. Send it to DVLA along with the duly filled counterpart and a covering letter to state the change in nationality. This might be useful as it allows you to travel within Europe and can be used for identity.

2. Inform your employer so that they can update their records.

SpokenHands

Post by SpokenHands » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:19 am

Seriously:

1. Advise your bank(s)
2. Advise your council so they update the electoral register
3. Advise the HMRC so you are entitled to credits etc
4. Advise the DVLA
5. Advise your car insurance co.
6. Check with your GP if NHS records for you need updating

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:40 am

Seriously, none of those organisations would know what to do with such a request apart from registering in the electoral roll.

The UK driving license is not a national ID card so you can't use it to tracel within Europe and is not an indication of your nationality.

SpokenHands

Post by SpokenHands » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:03 am

Jambo:

With respect, may I disagree entirely.

My banks are happy to know because they re-assess risk profile on mortgage, credit limits, and unsecured personal loans as you are seen as settled.

HMRC will not consider you eligible for certain credits and allowances unless their data shows your entitlement as a British national.

The council will need to update the electoral register.

DVLA databases are best kept updated - in the event of an accident, claim or other eventuality; it helps having the facts up to date - items 3 on your full British license also needs changing. (shows non-british nationality for those who are not yet British)

Car insurance premiums can drop if you negotiate carefully, especially when travelling overseas.

Ever wonder, in event of an accident on holiday, how authorities there know if you are a British citizen: they look up driver license, passport, phone records, travel records on frequent-flyer accounts and so while these are NOT a proof of nationality, it is prudent to keep this updated so you can get consular support even if you're not able to do so yourself.

friendinneed

Post by friendinneed » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:09 am

SpokenHands wrote:Car insurance premiums can drop if you negotiate carefully, especially when travelling overseas.
Name me an insurer who even asks what nationality you are!

They as 2 questions which are how long have you been in the UK and what driving license do you hold (eg UK full, EU full etc). Neither of these change just because of your nationality.

You can choose to now register on the electrol roll but to the best of my knowledge there is no requirement to do so until the annual household update is done

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:51 am

SpokenHands wrote:Jambo:

HMRC will not consider you eligible for certain credits and allowances unless their data shows your entitlement as a British national.

DVLA databases are best kept updated - in the event of an accident, claim or other eventuality; it helps having the facts up to date - items 3 on your full British license also needs changing. (shows non-british nationality for those who are not yet British)

Ever wonder, in event of an accident on holiday, how authorities there know if you are a British citizen: they look up driver license, passport, phone records, travel records on frequent-flyer accounts and so while these are NOT a proof of nationality, it is prudent to keep this updated so you can get consular support even if you're not able to do so yourself.
Someone with ILR is entitled to the same benefits that a British citizen is.

A UK driving licence does not indicate nationality at No. 3 - it says your DOB and what country you were born in.

If you are on holiday, authorities know you are British by your passport - not your drivers licence.

SpokenHands

Post by SpokenHands » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:56 am

I would suggest Sam and other readers now have enough comment to draw their own conclusions.

Left to experts here, I wonder if you've solutions for World Peace? Or Eurozone fiscal union? #Only kidding.

jms_uk
- thin ice -

Post by jms_uk » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:22 pm

SpokenHands wrote: DVLA databases are best kept updated - in the event of an accident, claim or other eventuality; it helps having the facts up to date - items 3 on your full British license also needs changing. (shows non-british nationality for those who are not yet British)
Greenie wrote: A UK driving licence does not indicate nationality at No. 3 - it says your DOB and what country you were born in.
As Greenie mentioned: item 3 has nothing to do with nationality - it is country of birth.

It will say England, Wales, Scotland or NI for those born in this country, not Britain. On mine, it still says Yugoslavia, even though that country doesn't exist any more.

ceem
Newly Registered

Post by ceem » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:44 am

Maybe the only person I am going to notify is my employer. Otherwise its notify as you go.

addh
- thin ice -

Post by addh » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:55 am

frankly you might only need to inform the council as being British ur right of vote might change... again which will not be important if you were previously a commonwealth national as they already have that right

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:41 pm

friendinneed wrote:answer is no one unless your home state doesnt allow dual nationality
Not entirely true. Even states that explicitly allow dual nationality more often than not request a notification. I know that for a few states. For example, German law states under §15(4) of the passport directive (PassG) that the acquisition of another nationality (while not in itself requiring a permission) must be reported to the authorities, and §25(2) declares it a punishable offence not to do so. The Austrian law also requires contact with authorities under §27 of the StBG. I would assume that this holds true for many other states as well. Therefore, I would strongly recommend investigating the law in your country of origin beforehand to avoid trouble later.

Mordoklej

Post by Mordoklej » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:11 pm

The only change is that as British citizen you will be entitled to vote. Next time they send you an electoral register form to your address (they do every year) just correct your nationality.

And that's it.

I wouldn't bother with telling banks or DVLA unless you apply for new accounts/credit etc.

aledeniz

Post by aledeniz » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:19 pm

friendinneed wrote:Name me an insurer who even asks what nationality you are!
In my experience, they have always asked me, and banks as well.
My understanding is that it changes the risk profile.

godfather.rocks

Re: Whom to alert after becoming British?

Post by godfather.rocks » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:33 pm

I asked about this to the lady containing passport interview: do I need to inform anyone about change in nationality?

She replied: no one.