ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Apply for residency from Aust

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Bobs
Newly Registered

Apply for residency from Aust

Post by Bobs » Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:18 pm

Hi,

I am an Indian currently in Australia on student Visa. My Visa will expire in August 2005. I want to apply fo Canada residency. Is it possible to apply from Australia as I heard residency takes minimum 4 years if you apply from India. And from Australia it wont take more then 1.5 yrs.

As my studies will finish in 1 year and if my residency will come after that I wont be able to receive that here. My friends are here they can recieve but is it required for me to here?

Please help me as I am not getting genuine information from any where.

Regards

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:09 am

1. Under the Immigration & Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and regulations thereof a skilled worker class application must be made at a Canadian visa post in your country of nationality/ citizenship or one where you have been legally admitted for a minimum period of 12 months. You can thus apply to the Canadian High Commission in Australia.

2. If a selection interview with an immigration officer is required you must attend this in Australia. If you are not able to obtain an Australian visa to attend the interview your file will be closed because under the IRPA cases can no longer be transfered to a different visa post e.g. New Delhi. Note that even where an initial interview waiver is granted the immigration officer can conduct at any time prior to issuance of the immigrant visa an interview for quality control checks.

3. Once an immigrant visa has been issued you must submit your passport for it to be affixed. AFAIK it is illegal for Indian passports to be sent out of the country so it seems you need to go back to Australia for a second time unless you are willing to contravene Indian Law. Again OZ visa issue crops up.

4. It is advisable for Indian Nationals to get a Police Clearance Certificate although the application forms list India as one of the countries where the Canadian authorities will conduct their own search. This can save you some time. Obtain relevant info on PCC's from the Indian High Commission in Australia.

Good Luck