ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Exchanging UK Driving Licence for Canadian Licence

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

southern456
inactive

Exchanging UK Driving Licence for Canadian Licence

Post by southern456 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:26 am

One of my friends in reloating to Canada (Saskatchewan region). On their website, they say that anyone relocating to Saskatchewan would have to surrender his UK licence in order to obtain Canadian licence (https://www.sgi.sk.ca/moving-to-saskatchewan).

This is inconvenient for him as he has business/family ties to UK/Europe and wants to retain his full UK licence.

Any suggesiton what option he has before him in this situation?

avro1959
Mood:
Canada

Re: Exchanging UK Driving Licence for Canadian Licence

Post by avro1959 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:54 am

In most modern jurisdictions, it is illegal to possess two valid drivers' licenses.

I'm not sure how maintaining a UK license in this case is going to help maintain his ties to the UK. If he needs to use an ID for anything back home, he could use his passport.

I'm not a lawyer, so don't take my word for it, but he could explore the legal possibility of leaving his UK license in the UK and starting the Saskatchewan licensing process from scratch in order to obtain a SK license.