Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to!

Login Register Do not show

Having a Canadian partner

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, Administrator

Newly Registered
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:25 pm

Having a Canadian partner

Post by GerryM » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:38 pm

Hi all,

First of all, my partner is Canadian and living here in the UK with me (under a 2yr VISA). I myself are Scottish. I was wondering if anyone could answer me this as nobody seems to know. If we are married does it gain myself automatic entry into Canada? If not, what are the other options? I have looked at the skilled worker program 'B' which i may be eligible for as i work in Finance. How long does the application take & is it worth it?

My last question is 'Can i apply to move to Canada permanently?' and who would i contact for this here in the UK? I heard this can take upto a year or 2. If so, can anyone here in the UK advise me who to contact for immigration.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!


Posts: 1102
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 7:59 am

Post by meats » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:52 pm

I'm sure that the Canadian equivalent of their Home Office would be able to answer your question regarding automatic entry if married to a Canadian citizen.

For a more precise answer you'd be better googling for a specific forum for Canadian immigration or even a US one as you're more likely to get more Americans or Canadians answering than on here.

Member of Standing
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:47 am

Post by crusador0408 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:31 am

i do not know the details, however being surrounded by so many people in my community who have moved to canada. Yes, it is definite answer am sure that you can apply to move to canada permanently based on your parnter is canadian citizen.

You can apply for initial spouse visa or permanent residency based on her citizenship status and slowly that will be processed to citizenship or similar status.

I do know the process but try reading at
hope that helps.
I have my ILR since march 2013, previously based on HSMP+Tier1 ext. All views are my own, am not a professional on immigration matters.