Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling on Student Permit after finishing college

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, Administrator

Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:56 pm

Travelling on Student Permit after finishing college

Post by meyou5ick » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:19 pm

Dear all,

I hope you are well.

I am currently doing college in Vancouver and I am finishing the course in August.

I want to apply for a work permit after however I am unclear on the time I have to apply and if I can leave the country before for a bit (have my sisters wedding) and come back and apply, please can someone assist?

My sister is willing to reschedule the dates but if I apply for work permit in August, I won't have an answer till end of November.

My question is if I go right after my college finishes (mid-August) then can I go out of Canada and attend the wedding for a week and come back and apply? Will I be not allowed back in? Or can I apply for work permit and then travel and return and be allowed in if I show proof of work permit application?

I have my visa till March 2021.

Please can someone advise as I want to attend the wedding but I cannot take a chance to not be allowed in.

Kind regards,

Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:50 pm

Re: Travelling on Student Permit after finishing college

Post by Aarav086 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:42 am

Hi - did you get a reply about this? As am in a similar situation with my fiancé and his sister who is living in Vancouver..

Shivani Singh
Newly Registered
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:50 am

Re: Travelling on Student Permit after finishing college

Post by Shivani Singh » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:06 am

Good evening,
Since you will be completing your exam in August and you have the Visa till March 2021 you can go and visit your Sister's wedding since by the time you are back you will still have 12-15 weeks in your hand which is sufficient to apply for a work permit.

Note: You can only apply for a work permit if a Canadian employer is offering you a job. Then employer must apply for a Labour Market Impact Assessment from Employment and Social Development Canada.