ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling to Canada with ILR or wait for Citizenship

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

krisbol17
Wales

Travelling to Canada with ILR or wait for Citizenship

Post by krisbol17 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:08 pm

With my last DLR, I applied for Canada visitor's visa but was declined. The reasons they gave were these:

You have not satisfied me that you would leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident. In reaching this decision, I considered several factors, including:

Travel History
Immigration Status in country of residence
Family ties in Canada and in country of residence

I don't quite understand reason 1 as my passport had no visa (i.e never travelled anywhere before), I suspect it was really the fact that my passport was expiring within 1 year and so was my DLR. The fact that I was also single and no evidence of ties in the UK apart from my permanent job. Now I have proposed to my British gf, we have started savings (Lifetime ISA) for a house and we have booked a venue for our wedding ceremony next year (actually legal wedding to be done at the registrar's office when I get my ILR)

Now I'm waiting for the outcome of my ILR application (Biometric Letter received and done on 16 Jan, My other threads explain more in detail). If I am granted ILR say in April/May and I want to travel to Canada for Christmas again, this time with my fiancee, what are my chances of getting a visa approved?

1) Is it best to get ILR, get married to my British Fiancee, apply for citizenship+passport simultaneously then go to Canada as a British Citizen?

I understand I will still need an e-Visa where I'll declare that I have been declined a visitor's visa before. Time here is critical because assuming I get ILR in April/May, get married in June at the registrar's office, then apply for Citizenship in July. Is it likely that I might get my citizenship+passport before, say, October/November so I can travel in December?

Or

2) I can reapply for visitor's visa once i have my ILR (BRP) from UKVI and still use my national passport which I renewed and this one expires in 2022. This passport I used to travel during my annual leave last year. Plus I can prove ties like wedding venue booked, savings for our new home, her letter explaining we're together + copies of her passport

Thanks

krisbol17
Wales

Re: Travelling to Canada with ILR or wait for Citizenship

Post by krisbol17 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:42 am

Moderators, can I post this same question in the ILR section and delete it from the Canada Forums in order to avoid duplicates? Maybe I might get answers over there.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Travelling to Canada with ILR or wait for Citizenship

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:47 am

krisbol17 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:42 am
Moderators, can I post this same question in the ILR section and delete it from the Canada Forums in order to avoid duplicates? Maybe I might get answers over there.
It is not relevant to the ILR sub forum and will stay here.

You should be ok to apply for a visa with ILR as you are now 'settled'.

Your choice if you want to wait for a British passport or not.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.