Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to!

Login Register Do not show

Want to Renew my Canada PR Visa

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, Administrator

Newly Registered
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:29 am

Want to Renew my Canada PR Visa

Post by yatinkumar » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:57 am

I would like to ask you about the following situation:

I have a permanent resident status since December 2016.My father sponsored me when i was 17 years old. My father sponsored my mother, too.But after 15 days in Canada I came back to Bulgaria with my father and mother. I was accepted to study medicine in Bulgaria.

Is there any chance for my pr card to be renewed when I come back to Canada? I would like to follow the Physician Licensure Pathway and practice medicine in Canada.I cant live in Canada at least 730 days.

Thank you!

Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:16 pm

Re: Want to Renew my Canada PR Visa

Post by avro1959 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:19 am

The residency obligation to renew a PR card is to be resident in Canada 730 days out of the previous 5 years.

Unfortunately the only exceptions to the above rule are for people who work abroad for a Canadian business or the Canadian government, or are the immediate family members of such a person.

One thing to note is that while in Canada, you are not required to maintain a valid PR card. A PR card is only required to re-enter the country. So if your course is less than 5 years, you can always come back to Canada before the expiry of your PR card, live here for two years without leaving, and then apply to renew your PR card.

If your course is longer than the term of your PR card, you will unfortunately lose the ability to maintain your PR. You could complete your training abroad and apply for PR in your own right which should be straightforward for a qualified doctor.