ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice for making benefit claim - just received 'Leave to Remain'

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

BobbyDazzler
Newly Registered

Advice for making benefit claim - just received 'Leave to Remain'

Post by BobbyDazzler » Fri May 18, 2018 11:46 pm

Hello, I was notified by the Home Office yesterday that we have been granted Leave to Remain for 30 months on the basis of our Private Life.

We have been sent Biometric Resident Permit Cards (with Work Permitted stated on them) & National numbers for the adults

Naturally we are delighted at this outcome, but now I am slightly confused and need to pointed in the right direction.

My plan is to apply & enter employment ASAP, but in the immediate short term, I have 2 concerns:

1) I have to vacate the property we live in
2) My children are both in the local school.

What happens next? I have been told I can apply for benefits, but who do I call first? Do I have to register somewhere? What should I be applying for?

And most importantly, how do I ensure that I have a roof over my family's head when we have to leave our current property? Do I have to find a house or flat? Does someone find it for me? I am really confused

Thanks so much.

vinny

Re: Advice for making benefit claim - just received 'Leave to Remain'

Post by vinny » Sat May 19, 2018 2:31 am

Make sure you don’t have a “no recourse to public funds” endorsement.

Benefits.

Council housing.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

BobbyDazzler
Newly Registered

Post by BobbyDazzler » Sat May 19, 2018 11:35 pm

Thank you Vinny.

Where would I see that 'no recourse to public funds' notification? On the letters they sent or Biometric Residence Permit Cards?

I don't see it written anywhere.

If I can quote one paragraph of the letter to you sir,

"You are free to take up a job and do not the permission of any Govt Department before doing so. YO are also free to set up a business.....Job Centre plus can also help find you a job or train for work, and if yo need them, claim social security benefits (including Income Support)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue May 22, 2018 10:20 am

BobbyDazzler wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 11:35 pm
Thank you Vinny.

Where would I see that 'no recourse to public funds' notification? On the letters they sent or Biometric Residence Permit Cards?

I don't see it written anywhere.

If I can quote one paragraph of the letter to you sir,

"You are free to take up a job and do not the permission of any Govt Department before doing so. YO are also free to set up a business.....Job Centre plus can also help find you a job or train for work, and if yo need them, claim social security benefits (including Income Support)
It will be clearly printed on your Biometric Cards.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

BobbyDazzler
Newly Registered

Post by BobbyDazzler » Thu May 24, 2018 11:14 pm

Thanks for all your help :wink: