ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

benefits and visa extention

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

cheeta777
Newly Registered
United States of America

benefits and visa extention

Post by cheeta777 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:52 pm

Hi to all board members
I am indefinite holder and my British nationality is due after 6 months
I have two question
First if i start taking housing benefits that can effect my future British nationality or not according to me that,s fine there is no harm
Secondly if i start taking housing benefits on my name only so that can make difficulties for my wife visa next extension or not.....sorry i forgot to mention that my wife has 2.5 year visa and her extension is due in 2020..
Thanks in advance

CMOSUK
Mood:

Re: benefits and visa extention

Post by CMOSUK » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:31 pm

cheeta777 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:52 pm
Hi to all board members
I am indefinite holder and my British nationality is due after 6 months
I have two question
First if i start taking housing benefits that can effect my future British nationality or not according to me that,s fine there is no harm
Secondly if i start taking housing benefits on my name only so that can make difficulties for my wife visa next extension or not.....sorry i forgot to mention that my wife has 2.5 year visa and her extension is due in 2020..
Thanks in advance
Hello,

My understanding is as you have ILR (indefinite-leave-to-remain) you are not under immigration control anymore (mostly) and you may claim public funds as you would be entitled to do so.

My understanding is, no it shouldn't affect your application for British citizenship.

To your third question, I don't believe it will affect her application for an extension as long as the benefits claimed are in YOUR name only, as she will have the ''No Recourse to Public Funds' imposed on her BRP card and the conditions set out before her.

I should also state that whatever other condition she has to fulfill for her extension will be required before they grant her it.
These are my 'views' and 'opinions'.
If in doubt always seek professional advice, or at least do a search for the relevant information. :P

If i make any mistakes, You are more than welcome to correct me.