ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child benefit for refugees payment backdated to the day of claiming Asylum

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ochahrour

Child benefit for refugees payment backdated to the day of claiming Asylum

Post by ochahrour » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:13 pm

Hi
When an asylum seeker claim is approved and
He/she receives their Refugee status they become entitled for child benefit for any children they have.
However it seems that when they claim the benefit many of them are getting one off child benefit payment to cover the time when their asylum claim was still under consideration and some are not getting this one payment

Can anyone please clarify the current HMRC practice regarding this matter?

CMOSUK
Mood:

Re: Child benefit for refugees payment backdated to the day of claiming Asylum

Post by CMOSUK » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:50 am

ochahrour wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:13 pm
Hi
When an asylum seeker claim is approved and
He/she receives their Refugee status they become entitled for child benefit for any children they have.
However it seems that when they claim the benefit many of them are getting one off child benefit payment to cover the time when their asylum claim was still under consideration and some are not getting this one payment

Can anyone please clarify the current HMRC practice regarding this matter?
You may be better suited to ask the relevant department in HMRC as this sounds more as per their policy and guidance rather than immigration related. It might also worth mentioning that benefits that you maybe entitled to don't necessarily fall into immigration law but have their own eligibility criteria and policies outwith immigration law, rules, policies.
These are my 'views' and 'opinions'.
If in doubt always seek professional advice, or at least do a search for the relevant information. :P

If i make any mistakes, You are more than welcome to correct me.

ochahrour

Re: Child benefit for refugees payment backdated to the day of claiming Asylum

Post by ochahrour » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:06 am

Thank you for your reply

HMRC has actually made two different contradicting decisions based on case worker opinions. Hence I am asking here

One worker decided the claim can be backdated to day of granting refugee status
The other to the day when asylum was claimed