ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU claimants having benefits stopped because they're not British citizens?

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

rooibos
Member of Standing

EU claimants having benefits stopped because they're not British citizens?

Post by rooibos » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:14 pm

This is third hand information, taken from a reputable forum (rightsnet.org.uk) on which I have no posting rights.

https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/12959/
Hi
I haven’t been here for a long time, but today have been asked this question by a client from the Czech Republic.
The client has lived in the UK for around 15 years, worked for over 5 years, and has got permanent residence card.
The client has been getting JSA for a number of years as the client is 5 years from retiring.

The Jobcentre today told the client that she must have a British passport to continue claiming benefits.
I am absolutely gobsmacked as I believe this to be incorrect advice.

can someone please let me know if I am wrong and if I’m not wrong, how to challenge this?

thank you

Experience tells me (I had a brief stint as adviser in the welfare to work sector) that if something like this appears on rightsnet, there are already tens if not hundreds of similar cases around.