ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I need help with universal credit claim - HRT (EEA national)

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Felixstowe
Newly Registered
Spain

I need help with universal credit claim - HRT (EEA national)

Post by Felixstowe » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:28 pm

Hi, I've applied for universal credit and been refused. I had to do the HRT and that's the part that I'm having problems with. I'll give a summary of everything that I think is relevant :

I came to the UK from Spain when I was 2 years old. I've been here for over 40 years.

Based on everything I've read, I believe I have permanent residence (correct me if I'm wrong).

I don't have access to my birth certificate, nor do I have any idea where it is, but it's definitely back in Spain.

I don't know if I have indefinite leave to remain. Probably not, but as I say I don't know. I've never applied and I don't know if I need to.

My spanish passport is expired but at no point has that been brought up.

I've had jobs here, gone to school, had bank accounts, etc, the usual stuff that a person living here would do.

For many years I did not work, and recently I became self employed, working from home, but it has been on and off and I haven't earned much. I have provided invoices and bank statements, and been told that I'm not gainfully self employed. I currently don't have a job (as an employee).

I have anxiety and I had a doctors note which expired recently and I hope to get it extended. I would have difficulty working outside of home but working from home is no problem.

Due to me not being able to get universal credit, my mum has been helping me out, giving me money for rent and council tax, and also some money to live on (except when I have been earning money from self employment).

My mum is is retired, but she always worked while in the UK.

No one in my family is a UK citizen.

I've contacted a lot of people (citizens advice bureau and many others) and although the yseem to think that I should get universal credit, they haven't advised me on exactly what to do.

I have a SSCS1 form to appeal, but I have no idea what to say.

What should I do?

Thanks.

Felixstowe
Newly Registered
Spain

Re: I need help with universal credit claim - HRT (EEA national)

Post by Felixstowe » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:38 pm

Also I have never worked for 5 years continuously.

Felixstowe
Newly Registered
Spain

Post by Felixstowe » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:39 pm

I have contacted my local MP and they're looking into it but so far they've given me generic info which I already know.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:13 pm

Felixstowe wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:39 pm
I have contacted my local MP and they're looking into it but so far they've given me generic info which I already know.
If you put the wording of the refusal letter up, people on here will be able to give the same information you have already been given on the other site.