ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What benefits I can take and what impact it will make on my spouse visa Application

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

IQBAL052618
Newly Registered

What benefits I can take and what impact it will make on my spouse visa Application

Post by IQBAL052618 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:04 pm

I am on spouse visa and my wife has ILR, We have only child who is British, after her birth we come to know that there are certain benefits which our daughter can have and its her right as a British citizen.

After 7-8 month of her birth, my wife applied for child benefit and they approved the child benefit and it comes into my wife account, My wife works 19 hours a week and I am self-employed, one of the director of the company and withdrawal salary only.

Recently we applied for child tax credit and they refused our application and we been told to apply for Universal credit, So when i tried to do that it asking for me and my wife information and to book an appointment etc with the coach.

however I do not need any benefit but we are looking for benefit only for our child so please help me in this scenario.

JB007
- thin ice -

Re: What benefits I can take and what impact it will make on my spouse visa Application

Post by JB007 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:34 pm

IQBAL052618 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:04 pm
I am on spouse visa and my wife has ILR, We have only child who is British, after her birth we come to know that there are certain benefits which our daughter can have and its her right as a British citizen.

After 7-8 month of her birth, my wife applied for child benefit and they approved the child benefit and it comes into my wife account, My wife works 19 hours a week and I am self-employed, one of the director of the company and withdrawal salary only.

Recently we applied for child tax credit and they refused our application and we been told to apply for Universal credit, So when i tried to do that it asking for me and my wife information and to book an appointment etc with the coach.

however I do not need any benefit but we are looking for benefit only for our child so please help me in this scenario.
It's the parent/s who claim benefits, not a child. Your wife has ILR and therefore she can claim Public Funds and that inlcudes for a child in her household, even if that child has a visa that does not allow Public Funds.

The Child Benefit claim must be in your wife's name.

The Tax Credits benefit has ended and everybody who claims this benefit and the other low income based benefits for those of working age, will be moved to the Universal Credit benefit.

Universal Credit is also Public Funds and your wife can claim this if your wife (and you) have a low joint income and low savings/capital. It's a monthly claim. I think that like the old benefit called Tax Credits, this too will have to be in joint names as it is based on your joint income, savings and capital.

Unlike Tax Credits, it is based on earnings and not hours worked and you will have to meet a joint earnings each week to avaoid the Universal Credit conditions. 16k in savings, capital in property not lived in and land even in other countries, is too much to be able to have Universal Credit. As self employed, it seems your earnings for a benefit claim will be based on a set amount, even if you don't earn that, but it is a new benefit and things ae still getting tweeked and I'm not sure. Try the benefit calculators. https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

JB007
- thin ice -

Re: What benefits I can take and what impact it will make on my spouse visa Application

Post by JB007 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:43 pm

More on Universal Credit
https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:59 pm

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:16 am

IQBAL052618 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:04 pm
Reading what I have put again, this might make it clearer.

There is no benefit for a child because parents keep their children. If they parents are low income, they ask for help to keep their child/ren from the welfare state.

When a parent asks for Child Tax Credit or Housing Benefits, or the replacment benefit called Universal Credit, the parents fill in forms about their joint earnings for the relevant benefit agency to look at, who also check with HMRC. If that shows the child/ren parents are low income, then money is provided for them via the relevant benefits, to the parents.