ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Partner on benefit

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

liyam

British Partner on benefit

Post by liyam » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:28 pm

Hi,
I'm wondering whether it's possible for me the British partner to claim housing benefit, council tax reduction and child benefit for my British child while my wife is on spouse visa.

We have to apply for the extension visa in the near future, I lost my job few months ago and honestly haven't been able to find a job that covers the £18600 a year.

Just wondering what we should do?

We have never claimed anything on my wife's name, even the council tax and tenancy is in my name and the council confirmed the benefits are only given to me and she won't be eligible for such benefits.

Amber
Mood:

Re: British Partner on benefit

Post by Amber » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:29 pm

Yes you can claim benefits, but it won’t be housing benefit it will be universal credit, on top you may also be able to claim Child Benefit and council tax reduction/support. Contact the citizens advice help to claim UC team - https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about ... -to-claim/

Regarding the extension, as you cannot meet the Financial Requirement the extension will have to be considered under the Family Life, partner route, a 10 year route to settlement - https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... .0-ext.pdf
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

liyam

Post by liyam » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:04 pm

Thanks for the reply Amber, I’ve now contacted citizens advise and they’ve confirmed this too.

I still have hope to find a job as there is exactly 6 months and 2 weeks left for her visa to expire!

If I manage to find a job that pays me the minimum £18600 and stop the housing benefit and council tax support, would I be ok while I have a british child? Or do I need more income because we have a child?

I’m also currently receiving child benefit in my account for my child.

So just to break the final questions down, if I have a job for exactly 6 months before applying for the extension visa (minimum £18600 a year) and stop all benefits apart from child benefit, Would I be ok applying under the 5 years route?

Thanks once again for your reply and anyone who’s contributing here.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:08 pm

No addition for a British child.

If worked for 6 or more months then, lowest wage slip in those six months x 12 must meet or exceed £18,600. A2 English also required for an extension.

Claiming benefits you’re entitled to, will have no effect.

Child benefit is fine.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

liyam

Post by liyam » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:13 pm

Thank you very much for the most valuable information I could have hoped to receive.

There’s so little information about the visa extension especially on the government website that made me so confused.

You people here are doing an amazing job, shame on HO and especially Teresa May for making our lives so hard and stressful.

I’m a british and have always paid my taxes and worked lawfully, the company I worked for after 12 years closed down thanks to Brexit and seeing myself in such a dilemma it simply isn’t fair on any human.