ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child benefit and spouse visa extension

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

rommy

Child benefit and spouse visa extension

Post by rommy » Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:45 pm

Good afternoon,

I need your help with regards to child benefit. I am originally from Pakistan and now also have british citizenship. My wife is on spouse visa with me being her sponsor and we will be applying for extension in Sep 2023.

I am currently earning around £40k. We just had a baby. Can I apply for child benefit and will it have any adverse effect on my wife visa extension?

Thank you all for your help.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Re: Child benefit and spouse visa extension

Post by AmazonianX » Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:17 pm

rommy wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:45 pm
Good afternoon,

I need your help with regards to child benefit. I am originally from Pakistan and now also have british citizenship. My wife is on spouse visa with me being her sponsor and we will be applying for extension in Sep 2023.

I am currently earning around £40k. We just had a baby. Can I apply for child benefit and will it have any adverse effect on my wife visa extension?

Thank you all for your help.
The CB claim will be in your name and should have no adverse effect on your wife's extension.

rommy

Post by rommy » Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:26 pm

Thank you as always for your kind response.

I am a bit confused about capital gain tax. Does CGT counts toward the £50k income threshold? I.E if my salary is £40k and I also earn £20k as captial gain in a year , does it take me over the threshold?

miiiirza1

Post by miiiirza1 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:47 pm

rommy wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:26 pm

I am a bit confused about capital gain tax. Does CGT counts toward the £50k income threshold? I.E if my salary is £40k and I also earn £20k as captial gain in a year , does it take me over the threshold?
Your ordinary income is taxed first at the higher relative tax rate and capital gain is taxed second at their lower rate. Capital gains can not push your employed income into a higher tax bracket but may push your capital gain's rate into a higher tax bracket

miiiirza1

rommy wrote:

Your ordinary income is taxed first at the higher relative tax rate and capital gain is taxed second at their lower rate. Capital gains can not push your employed income into a higher tax bracket but may push your capital gain's rate into a higher tax bracket

miiiirza1

rommy wrote: