ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child benefit question

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ezzaf3
Newly Registered
Mood:
Pakistan

Child benefit question

Post by ezzaf3 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:01 pm

Hi All,

I just have a question regarding the Child Benefit. I am on ILR and I had a baby who is a British citizen since I have ILR. However, my husband is on Spouse Visa. I am in the process of applying for child benefit using the online form however, I am a little confused. I know that only I am eligible to claim the Child Benefit and therefore, the claim should be made by myself alone (What I have read online so far.). Therefore I have 2 questions:

1) The CH2 form only asks for one person's detail in "About You" section so why do people on this forum say that only the person who is british/ilr can claim. How could the claim be made in both parents name if the form only asks for one person's details in the "About You" section.

2) the form also asks the partner's details as well in section "About Your Partner". Do I need to provide these details? Does providing these details mean that the claim would then be in both of our names or they just need the partner details?

Please advise. Thanks in advance for reading.

JB007
- thin ice -

Re: Child benefit question

Post by JB007 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:05 am

ezzaf3 wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:01 pm
1) The CH2 form only asks for one person's detail in "About You" section so why do people on this forum say that only the person who is british/ilr can claim. How could the claim be made in both parents name if the form only asks for one person's details in the "About You" section.
We say to make sure the claimant is the person who is allowed to have UK public funds. There is also residency requirments to meet (even if the claimant is a British citizen) to be able to receive/continue to receive, benefits.

ezzaf3 wrote:
2) the form also asks the partner's details as well in section "About Your Partner". Do I need to provide these details?
Yes. It is benefit fraud to claim you are a single parent when you are not. Child Benefit has an earning cap. One partners's earnings could mean there is no Child Benefit amount to pay. Have a read for yourself
https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit
ezzaf3 wrote:
Does providing these details mean that the claim would then be in both of our names or they just need the partner details?
No.

A NRPF partner cannot have public funds (unless there is a reciprocal agreement with the UK for Child benefit) but your partner must be to be linked to your benefit claim.

When the benefit letter is recieved, it is up to the claimants to make sure that the relevant benefit agency has the corect details recorded e.g. that the claim is only in the name of the person who can have public funds, but that their NRPF partner is linked to their claim.

The claimant is also required to tell the benefit agency of any changes to their claim. There is a long list here-
https://www.gov.uk/report-changes-child-benefit