ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child Benefit

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

dawn118
Newly Registered

Child Benefit

Post by dawn118 » Fri May 03, 2019 12:53 pm

Hi All

Hoping someone will be able to clarify or perhaps has some experience of this themselves.

I am a UK citizen and my husband is currently residing in the UK on the spouse visa. He is American. He has not yet applied for the extension as he has not been in the UK for the 2.5 years needed. He is currently working and earns more than the income requirement needed for the extension when the time arrives.

I am about to give birth to our first child and was wondering if i am eligible to claim child benefit? The application would be in my name.

My husband is subject to 'no recourse to public funds' and the last thing we want to do is cause issues for his extension application when the time comes. There seems to be a lot of mixed information out there. From what i understand, since it is in my name and not his, i should be OK to apply. Also, the amount received doesn't change dependent on the fact that we live together, its just a set amount for the child, which also signals for it to be OK for application.

Any help or advice is much appreciated!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Child Benefit

Post by CR001 » Fri May 03, 2019 12:55 pm

I am about to give birth to our first child and was wondering if i am eligible to claim child benefit? The application would be in my name.
Yes you can claim child benefit in your name.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

dawn118
Newly Registered

Post by dawn118 » Fri May 03, 2019 1:00 pm

Thank you for your response, is this something you have experienced yourself? Its always a nerve racking thing as regards immigration requirements!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri May 03, 2019 1:03 pm

dawn118 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 1:00 pm
Thank you for your response, is this something you have experienced yourself? Its always a nerve racking thing as regards immigration requirements!
Yes, as have 100s of other forum members. You as a British citizen are allowed to apply for child benefits in your name.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.