ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child benefit

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Sley2001

Child benefit

Post by Sley2001 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:40 am

hello, my mum is subject to immigration control with no resource to public funds whilst my father is a british citizen alongside me and my 3 other siblings. My mum has been claiming child benefit accidentally, we were under the belief that it was under my dad's name and only going into her account however we recently found out this was not the case when payments got cut. HMRC now want my mum's BRP card, they have requested this from us. I was looking online and found the following text on the gov.uk site. Would this mean that my mum who has no resource to public funds is able to claim child benefit ?. I need urgent advice thank you.

“People who are subject to immigration control are not excluded from entitlement to child benefit if they are a family member (spouse or partner) of a person who is a UK, EEA or Swiss national.

JB007
- thin ice -

Re: Child benefit

Post by JB007 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:29 am

Sley2001 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:40 am

“People who are subject to immigration control are not excluded from entitlement to child benefit if they are a family member (spouse or partner) of a person who is a UK, EEA or Swiss national.
That sounds like EU free movement rules to the UK.

Sley2001

Post by Sley2001 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:34 am

They describe someone as being under immigration control as a person who has no resource to public funding in the same document, so I thought it might apply to my mum being legally able to claim.

Sley2001

Post by Sley2001 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:34 am

JB007 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:29 am
Sley2001 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:40 am

That sounds like EU free movement rules to the UK.

Hi sorry I replied above.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:10 pm

Your Mother is fine claiming child benefit as she has a British family member.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Sley2001

Post by Sley2001 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:13 pm

Amber wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:10 pm
Your Mother is fine claiming child benefit as she has a British family member.
Hi would you be able to give a source of information to confirm this or explain the rules on this if you are a professional. Thank you so much.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:32 am

The Social security (Immigration and Asylum) Consequential Amendments Regulations 2000, regulation 2 (paragraph 1 in Part 2 of the schedule) for Great Britain.

See page 8 of the child benefit guide - https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... the_UK.pdf
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:28 am

https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit-move-to-uk

"You’re ‘subject to immigration control’

You cannot claim Child Benefit if you’re subject to immigration control, unless you’re:

• a sponsored immigrant - someone else has agreed to be financially responsible for you
      from Algeria, Morocco, San Marino, Tunisia or Turkey and working in the UK
        from a country that has an agreement with the UK for Child Benefit

Countries that have an agreement with the UK are:

• Barbados
        Bosnia and Herzegovina
        Canada
        the Channel Islands
        Israel
        Kosovo
        Mauritius
        Montenegro
        New Zealand
        North Macedonia
        Serbia"

JB007
      - thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:39 am

On the Citizens Advice site

Accessing UK benefits and services if you’re subject to immigration control

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/immig ... n-control/

Sley2001

Post by Sley2001 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:03 pm

JB007 wrote:
      Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:28 am
      https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit-move-to-uk

"You’re ‘subject to immigration control’

You cannot claim Child Benefit if you’re subject to immigration control, unless you’re:

• a sponsored immigrant - someone else has agreed to be financially responsible for you
          from Algeria, Morocco, San Marino, Tunisia or Turkey and working in the UK
            from a country that has an agreement with the UK for Child Benefit

Countries that have an agreement with the UK are:

• Barbados
            Bosnia and Herzegovina
            Canada
            the Channel Islands
            Israel
            Kosovo
            Mauritius
            Montenegro
            New Zealand
            North Macedonia
            Serbia"
          Although that is true, there are several documents on the gov.uk site that claim a person subject to immigration control with no recourse to public funds may claim child benefit if they are the family member of a british citizen. I personally don't think thing the clause i have stated above could be in relation to EU free movement because EU citizens in the UK are not subject to any immigration control.