ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child tax credit lr british wife

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Amm202305
Newly Registered
Jordan

Child tax credit lr british wife

Post by Amm202305 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:43 pm

Hi all . I have a spouse permit my wife is british and claim child benifit in her name i dont have the right to public funds but on our tax credit i am down in the claim so its joint i have been told because my wife is british we are intitled to child tax credit as its a joint clame however some people told me that i cant claim due to my permit conditions. I just dont want to do.something that might be againist the law . Can anyone help me please

Casa

Re: Child tax credit lr british wife

Post by Casa » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:25 pm

Don't listen to 'some people'. No problem, as you're claiming correctly.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

JB007
- thin ice -

Re: Child tax credit lr british wife

Post by JB007 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:35 am

The old low income benefit called Tax Credits, means that the claim must be in joint names, but no other benefit allowed that. The replacement benefit of the six low income benefits, called Universal Credit, does not allow this anymore. Perhaps this is where the confusion is coming from?

Everyone claiming one of these six low income benefits are going to have to move to Universal Credit, if they can claim UC: Universal Credit has different rules to the old (legacy) benefits that they replace. Either they will do some something that triggers a move to Universal Credit (natural migration) or they will be moved under the managed migration part of the Welfare Reforms.