ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Claiming benefits before ILR

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Junaidbinyasin
Mood:
Pakistan

Claiming benefits before ILR

Post by Junaidbinyasin » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:29 pm

Hi

I'm on 10 years route discretionary leave with my wife also on discretionary leave and I have one child on discretionary leave and second child is British.
We have received second extension and on biometric says work permitted. But there is nothing says no resource to public funds. Where as on my old biometric cards it is mentioned no response to public funds.

Now my question is can I apply for benefits? If yes which benefits I can apply universal credit or housing benefit etc?

Many thanks

JB007
- thin ice -

Re: Claiming benefits before ILR

Post by JB007 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:28 pm

Junaidbinyasin wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:29 pm
Hi

I'm on 10 years route discretionary leave with my wife also on discretionary leave and I have one child on discretionary leave and second child is British.
We have received second extension and on biometric says work permitted. But there is nothing says no resource to public funds. Where as on my old biometric cards it is mentioned no response to public funds.

Now my question is can I apply for benefits? If yes which benefits I can apply universal credit or housing benefit etc?

Many thanks
According to your previous post in 2012, you has naturailised as a British citizenship on the 10 year route, your wife had ILR under UK immigation rules and your 2 children were British.
british-citizenship/british-citizen-or- ... ml#p755917

But then in January this year, you stated you have ILR and are married to an EEA citizen who has pre-settled status and were asking how to naturalise your children.
british-citizenship/british-citizen-for ... l#p2052082

And in this on in March this year, you are an asylum seeker.
british-citizenship/british-citizenship ... l#p2060613

I didn't go back further.

What is your status in the UK?

As to welfare benefits, the UK have brought in the welfare reforms and housing benefit has been replaced by Universal Credit. Universal Credit has different rules and regualtions.

Junaidbinyasin
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by Junaidbinyasin » Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:46 pm

Thanks for reply

Sorry Mate my status is British. I have asked all these questions for different friends can't speak or write English.
Rather than saying this question is for my friend I posted on their behalf as if they were asking themselves.

Sorry for confusion.

And yes my friend can claim all benefits it was confirmed by home office.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:15 pm

Junaidbinyasin wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:46 pm
Thanks for reply

Sorry Mate my status is British. I have asked all these questions for different friends can't speak or write English.
Rather than saying this question is for my friend I posted on their behalf as if they were asking themselves.

Sorry for confusion.

He won't get all his rent paid via welfare benefits and will need to work too. Plus Universal Credit conditions are that they must work or they can be sanctioned for up to 2 years. The UK brought in Welfare reforms to make sure EU countries are more genrous to those who want welfare benefits, than the UK now is.

How will he get work if he can't speak English?

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:22 pm

JB007 wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:15 pm
Junaidbinyasin wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:46 pm
Thanks for reply

Sorry for confusion.

He won't get all his rent paid via welfare benefits and will need to work too. Plus Universal Credit conditions are that they must work or they can be sanctioned for up to 2 years. The UK brought in Welfare reforms to make sure EU countries are more genrous to those who want welfare benefits, than the UK now is.

How will he get work if he can't speak English?
Oh there are lots of jobs one can do without speaking English. The most important question would be how would he eventually acquire ILR.

Except that isn't in the agenda as well.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!