ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

claiming benefits on spouse visa

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

sajnan
Pakistan

claiming benefits on spouse visa

Post by sajnan » Mon May 27, 2019 5:52 pm

hi there
i am on ILR and just been able to bring my 4 kids and spouse to UK from Pakistan last month on spouse dependent visa 5 year route. in order to meet the financial requirement , i have had to do two jobs and i earn around £27500 a year before tax. the rest I showed in savings.
now when i check on the benefits calculator, i am eligible for child benefit and universal credit even after putting the details of all my jobs.
i don't want to jeopardise the future visa application of my kids and wife, so plz advise whether i am legally eligible to apply for the benefits without risking the status of my family.

citizen advise bureau immigration solicitor has advised me that i can claim it but still i am not sure.
i have not claimed any benefits so far . do u know any cases where people have claimed benefits and successfully extended their visas?
thanks for your help

Pak_Asif
Newly Registered
Mood:
Pakistan

Re: claiming benefits on spouse visa

Post by Pak_Asif » Wed May 29, 2019 1:51 am

sajnan wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 5:52 pm
hi there
i am on ILR and just been able to bring my 4 kids and spouse to UK from Pakistan last month on spouse dependent visa 5 year route. in order to meet the financial requirement , i have had to do two jobs and i earn around £27500 a year before tax. the rest I showed in savings.
now when i check on the benefits calculator, i am eligible for child benefit and universal credit even after putting the details of all my jobs.
i don't want to jeopardise the future visa application of my kids and wife, so plz advise whether i am legally eligible to apply for the benefits without risking the status of my family.

citizen advise bureau immigration solicitor has advised me that i can claim it but still i am not sure.
i have not claimed any benefits so far . do u know any cases where people have claimed benefits and successfully extended their visas?
thanks for your help
Hi Sajnan,

You can apply for child benefit and UC in your name and that would not affect your family's future visa extension. For Uinversal credit put your and your spouse's details in the online application and when you go for the interview at the job center, show them your wife's BRP and they will stop her part of the UC application as no recourse to public funds. But your part of the application would go through as you are eligible for UC, as you said calculated through benefit calculator. Thanks
Hope this helps.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Thu May 30, 2019 4:50 pm

sajnan wrote:
hi there
i am on ILR and just been able to bring my 4 kids and spouse to UK from Pakistan last month on spouse dependent visa 5 year route.
The benefits calculators don't work for those who have members of their household who have Limited Leave to Remain or Enter. See what advice is given when you answer the first question.

https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/AboutYou

shaharsh

Post by shaharsh » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:08 am

Pak_Asif wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 1:51 am
sajnan wrote:
hi there

thanks for your help
Hi Sajnan,

You can apply for child benefit and UC in your name and that would not affect your family's future visa extension. For Uinversal credit put your and your spouse's details in the online application and when you go for the interview at the job center, show them your wife's BRP and they will stop her part of the UC application as no recourse to public funds. But your part of the application would go through as you are eligible for UC, as you said calculated through benefit calculator. Thanks
Hope this helps.
I am sorry to merge my question here. But it’s related directly, I am British , When I try to fill universal credit application, the first question is does anyone in ur family from not British or non EU .As my wife is from non EU ,when I say yes’ application not going to further stage plz advise how to respond to that question when one of my family member not British and not from EU.