ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Claming Universal Credit

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

qufa
Newly Registered
Mood:

Claming Universal Credit

Post by qufa » Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:59 pm

Hi, I am British citizen so my child is. My Wife is on spouse visa with recently extension been granted. We are struggling financially although I am enititle to claim UC(benefits) but they require partner details as well as the claim has to be made jointly. I am aware of she can not claim any benefits and she will be refused at the interview but her income is being accounted towards claim which is unfair.
Question is, is it suggestable to claim Universal credit and would that affect when comes to getting indfinite visa after 5 total years?
thanks

JB007
- thin ice -

Re: Claming Universal Credit

Post by JB007 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:23 am

qufa wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:59 pm
Hi, I am British citizen so my child is. My Wife is on spouse visa with recently extension been granted. We are struggling financially although I am enititle to claim UC(benefits) but they require partner details as well as the claim has to be made jointly. I am aware of she can not claim any benefits and she will be refused at the interview but her income is being accounted towards claim which is unfair.
It's not unfair at all. Partners are expected to help each other: for richer or poorer, for better of worse... Claiming welfare benefits is asking other people (taxpayers who don't claim any benefits) to keep you. Why do you think strangers should have keep you but your wife should not have to keep you and her child? As you can see with Universal Credit, both parents are expected to work and keep their children.

qufa wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:59 pm
Question is, is it suggestable to claim Universal credit and would that affect when comes to getting indfinite visa after 5 total years?
You have to be careful with some welfare benefits, to ensure your NRPF partner does not accidently take public funds through you. Have a read of this article-

qufa
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by qufa » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:15 pm

Hello,
Thank you for your reply with some negativity in it however appreciate the fact I am being honest and open in this conversation. I had been a very high tax payer for very long and things changes in life. So it was not known to me with all restrictions and express my concerns over here.
Still I appreciate your reply.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:59 pm

qufa wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:15 pm
Hello,
Thank you for your reply with some negativity in it however appreciate the fact I am being honest and open in this conversation. I had been a very high tax payer for very long and things changes in life. So it was not known to me with all restrictions and express my concerns over here.
Still I appreciate your reply.

Unfortunately, there is not a pot with our name on it for all we have paid in, that we can take from when we need to. Benefits are paid for by those who are working and not taking any benefits. When you realise that, you can see why it is fair that your wife's earnings are taking into your low income benefit claim, because her wage is part of your household income. Universal Credit requires both parents to work, unless there is an exemption

If you don't have any savings/capital over 16k and your didn't take out private insurance, then there is the welfare state. Universal Credit does not pay much as it is a short-term help for those in need, until they find another job/more hours.

If you worked in the last two relevant tax years, you can claim New Style Jobseekers, which is contribution based. That wouldn't take into account your wife's earnings or your joint savings/capital etc.
If you need more than that, then you can claim UC too, but your JSA will reduce your UC payment, as will your wife's earnings, because it is means tested.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-j ... -allowance

Universal Credit pays some help towards rent (but not a mortgage). Have a read of the article to avoid the pitfalls of having a NRPF partner and renting while on UC and also claiming Council Tax Reduction (which is also a public fund).