ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Confused CTC and WTC

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

noorali26

Confused CTC and WTC

Post by noorali26 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:27 pm

Im on the 10 year route spouse visa my extension is due couple of months we are getting CTC and WTC wife is british with 2 kids she is not working i am only working i read on UKVI website this dont understand should im exception in my case or not

Provided one member of a couple is not subject to immigration control, or is covered by one of the exceptions to the general exclusion, the couple are treated as though:
• neither of them were subject to immigration control (as if the other partner were not subject to immigration control)
• both of them were covered by the exception that applies to the other partner. This exception applies to both tax credits, CTC and WTC
If one member of a couple is subject to immigration control, and the couple are entitled to WTC but not to CTC, there is no entitlement to the second adult element of WTC, unless the claimant subject to immigration control falls into exception 3 above.

JB007
- thin ice -

Re: Confused CTC and WTC

Post by JB007 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:59 am

noorali26 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:27 pm
Im on the 10 year route spouse visa my extension is due couple of months we are getting CTC and WTC wife is british with 2 kids she is not working i am only working i read on UKVI website this dont understand should im exception in my case or not

Provided one member of a couple is not subject to immigration control, or is covered by one of the exceptions to the general exclusion, the couple are treated as though:
• neither of them were subject to immigration control (as if the other partner were not subject to immigration control)
• both of them were covered by the exception that applies to the other partner. This exception applies to both tax credits, CTC and WTC
If one member of a couple is subject to immigration control, and the couple are entitled to WTC but not to CTC, there is no entitlement to the second adult element of WTC, unless the claimant subject to immigration control falls into exception 3 above.
You have children and your wife is a British citizen, therefore you are not treated as being under immigration control for the Tax Credit benefit.

Just be aware that the Tax Credits benefit has ended and you will be moved to it's replament benefit called Universal Credit and that has different rules. You will either do something to trigger a move or will be moved in due course. Under Universal Credit, your wife will have to work too, unless you earn enough to make her minimum required earnings each week.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:05 am

noorali26 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:27 pm

That means they do not have children and therefore a British or ILR partner can no longer have the second adult element (more benefit money) for a partner who cannot have public funds

The earnings income cap for Working Tax Credits for a couple, is about 18k. For a single, about 11k.

Whereas the poverty cap with children (Child Tax Credits) is higher.

Some claimants can have Child Tax Credit but their WTC claim is £0.

noorali26

Post by noorali26 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:35 am

Thanks you for your reply thats mean im okay with my visa extension