ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Council House

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

wentots

Council House

Post by wentots » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:54 am

Hello guys,

I am Me and My son is a british citizen and my wife is on spouse visa.

We are thinking of applying for a council house on behalf of me and my son and I was just wondering if this would affect my wifes spouse visa?

We are currently living with my family and the situation is kind of difficult as we keep falling out because of my son.

Thank you.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Re: Council House

Post by seagul » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:20 pm

A joint tenancy cannot be granted to 2 or more people if any of them is a person subject to
immigration control who is ineligible for local authority housing. This applies both to local
authority housing and to housing which is provided by a housing association as the result of
a referral from a local authority. A sole tenancy may be granted to someone who is eligible
(for example a British person or person settled in the UK) but whose spouse/partner is not
eligible. The ineligible spouse or partner is not counted as accessing public funds as a result
of this
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 4.0ext.pdf
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

wentots

Post by wentots » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:44 am

seagul wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:20 pm

A joint tenancy cannot be granted to 2 or more people if any of them is a person subject to
immigration control who is ineligible for local authority housing. This applies both to local
authority housing and to housing which is provided by a housing association as the result of
a referral from a local authority. A sole tenancy may be granted to someone who is eligible
(for example a British person or person settled in the UK) but whose spouse/partner is not
eligible. The ineligible spouse or partner is not counted as accessing public funds as a result
of this
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 4.0ext.pdf
Thank seagul!

From my understanding I can apply on my name and son and it won’t affect my wifes spouse visa extension as I am entitled to it because I am british? Correct me if im wrong please.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:29 pm

wentots wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:44 am
Thank seagul!
From my understanding I can apply on my name and son and it won’t affect my wifes spouse visa extension as I am entitled to it because I am british? Correct me if im wrong please.
Correct. But never totally rely on council house because you would have to join a very long queue perhaps until then your partner might already be a naturalized British citizen.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.