ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Council house

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

youcef410428
Algeria

Council house

Post by youcef410428 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:12 am

Hello everyone,

I'm in stressful situation as my landlord asked me to leave the house, I have an indefinite leave to remain, my wife and my daughter are still with global talent visa dependent.

I can't find house in the private sector, I tried all my best to find a house, if I apply for a council house will this affect my wife ILR application (she will be eligible for ilr in a year).

Regards

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Council house

Post by CR001 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:25 am

Your landlord has to follow the official processes to end a tenancy by issuing a section 8 or section 21 notice and after that applying for an eviction order from the court. They can't say you must move out and that's it.

If you are being evicted due to not paying rent or rent arrears, you are unlikely to get help from the council as it would be a case of making yourself intentionally homeless.

The waiting lists for social housing are very long, people often wait years.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

youcef410428
Algeria

Post by youcef410428 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:35 am

Thanks a lot for your quick reply, the landlord gave me proper long notice, the area where I live 😀 the waiting list is not too long, I'm trying everyday to find a private house... in case I get house from council will this due to my wife ILR being rejected...
Regards

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:51 am

Has your landlord followed the proper process, protected your deposit, and got an eviction order through court?? Only a court order can terminate the tenancy agreement.

Do you have rent arrears? Your previous posts suggest you were going to stop working.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

youcef410428
Algeria

Post by youcef410428 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:17 am

No I got new job and I applied for ILR...
I'll try to talk to him again and check with council as well at the same time...

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:26 am

You would have been notified of a court hearing date to attend.

I suggest you read up on the process a landlord has to follow to evict a tenant.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:11 am

Being housed by the council is also public funds. As you are the only person who can have public funds, that reads that you should be in the queue for a 1 bedroom property?

In addition to what CR001 has said about a Section 21, check it is a valid S21. Some LLs/LAs don't know the laws and end up seving an invalid S21.