ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Housing benefit + JSA --> UC + part-time job

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Ibyvana
Newly Registered

Housing benefit + JSA --> UC + part-time job

Post by Ibyvana » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:29 pm

I'm currently recieving JSA and Housing benefit and I found a zer-hour job (minimum wage) so if I accept the job and transfer to Universal Credit, will I lose the housing benefit?

Casa

Re: Housing benefit + JSA --> UC + part-time job

Post by Casa » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:32 pm

Ibyvana wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:29 pm
I'm currently recieving JSA and Housing benefit and I found a zer-hour job (minimum wage) so if I accept the job and transfer to Universal Credit, will I lose the housing benefit?
This isn't an immigration matter. I suggest you seek free advice from your local CAB. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:01 pm

Ibyvana wrote:
Housing Benefit is a low income benefit and so is it's replacement Universal Credit. Some people find they are better off on Universal Credit because there is no cliff edge drop in benefits with the new welfare system - Under the new system, the benefits are monthly and are based on when you get paid and will not stop or reduce on the day you start work anymore (as they did on the old system).

You can use the benefits calulators
https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators
or go to the CAB and ask them for a benefits calulator.

The different requirement for Universal Credit are the same that jobseekers have under the old system and you shouldn't really see a difference as you are already claiming JSA. You are already required to look for work/ more hours, go on courses, go the work providers, go on work training, receive sanctions if you don't do these things.

Those already claiming the old benedits that Universal Credit are replacing, will be moved on to UC.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:17 pm

There is more information on the gov.uk site.

https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/get ... st-payment

"If you need help to pay your bills or cover other costs while you wait for your first Universal Credit payment, you can apply to get an advance."

"How you pay back your advance

You start paying it back out of your first payment.

You can choose how many months you pay the advance back over. You must pay it back within 12 months. You do not pay interest on it - the total amount you pay back is the same."

rooibos
Member of Standing

Post by rooibos » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:17 am

Ibyvana wrote:
If your new job is less than 16 hours a week, you'll still stay on legacy benefits and not transferred over to UC, but most likely your HB will be reduced or zeroed.

If it's over 16 hours, you'll have to migrate to UC. It is a matter of fact that UC pays considerably less than JSA+HB, but, again, it all depends on the amount of hours you work.

As a reminder, you don't have to accept a zero hour contract if you are on legacy benefits.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:30 am

Some are better off on Universal Credit amd you might find you are one of these.There is no cliff edge drop in benefits under the new system as the taper is in a workering claimants (those who wants to work) favour. On UC they claim monthly and UC is based on what earning you are paid that month, so less earnings will mean more UC money to make up for the lower earnings that month. Those claiming jobseekers already do what are called UC conditions, going to the job centre, going on training programes, going to the work providers, going on work experience, which is what those on the legacy benefits like Tax Credits want to avoid by staying on Tax Credits as they prefer not to be made to look for work.

As you can see, some are trying to get moved onto UC as they will get more money, while those who want to avoid working try to avoid going onto UC for as long as the can.

Use the benefit calcualators for Universal Credit to see if you will be better off. Then go to the CAB and ask them to double check by doing a benefit calculation for you.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:48 am

rooibos wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:17 am

If your new job is less than 16 hours a week, you'll still stay on legacy benefits and not transferred over to UC, but most likely your HB will be reduced or zeroed.
Which is why he should do a benefits check based on Universal Credit as there is no sudden drop in the Housing benefit element on UC for those who work/work more hours. The UC taper (how much benefit money is lost per £ earned) is in their favour if they want to work.

rooibos wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:17 am
As a reminder, you don't have to accept a zero hour contract if you are on legacy benefits.
He doesn't want to avoid working. He is asking if will lose his Housing Benefit as he has found a part time job that will get him back into work. As he wants to work, he is likley one of the many who will find themselves better off on Universal Credit BUT he should use the Universal Credit calculators first and check with the CAB.