ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse Visa Extension and claiming Universal Credit part dss

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Walimusa
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Spouse Visa Extension and claiming Universal Credit part dss

Post by Walimusa » Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:02 pm

Hi
My wife is my dependant and is on spouse Visa. Both my children and I are British Citizens. I work full time as a self employed but i also claim Universal Credit to top up my income. My income is above £20k without adding Universal Credit. But i still need to get some from UC to pay the bills. My tenancy agreement is only on my name. My wife has no recourse to public funds and doesn’t get anything from UC. I pay the council tax to my Landlord so i don’t claim council tax discount as well.
Now my question is that her visa extension is in December. Will the UC claim affect her extension or 5 years ILR at all? Please reply. Thanks in advance.

Amber
Mood:

Re: Spouse Visa Extension and claiming Universal Credit part dss

Post by Amber » Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:39 am

No, insofar as your spouse doesn’t increase your UC entitlement I.e. you get a single person standard allowance, then that shouldn’t adversely affect your spouse’s application as they don’t receive public funds. You can’t use benefit income towards the (standard) financial requirement under Appendix FM, but as per your post that doesn’t appear to be the case.

For information on meeting the financial requirement with self-employed income under Appendix FM, see - https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... rement.pdf
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Walimusa
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Walimusa » Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:52 pm

Thanks for the valuable information. Should one write a cover letter to explain about UC or it’s not necessary?

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:29 pm

It’s not necessary.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Walimusa
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Walimusa » Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:32 pm

Thanku v much indeed. Much appreciated