ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Sure start maternity grant decision challenge

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

A2ROR
Bulgaria

Sure start maternity grant decision challenge

Post by A2ROR » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:14 pm

Hi forum and guru’s,

I have a question I got one baby under 16 and had not claimed SSMG first time because my income was high.

Now I am jobless and on universal credit and expecting second child. I applied for sure start maternity grant but got refused by saying that I have a child under 16.

Can I challenge their decision as I have had never applied SSM grant?

If yes then how can I challenge this decision?

I will appreciate if someone could help me.

JB007
- thin ice -

Re: Sure start maternity grant decision challenge

Post by JB007 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:18 am

A2ROR wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:14 pm
Hi forum and guru’s,

I have a question I got one baby under 16 and had not claimed SSMG first time because my income was high.

Now I am jobless and on universal credit and expecting second child. I applied for sure start maternity grant but got refused by saying that I have a child under 16.

Can I challenge their decision as I have had never applied SSM grant?
No, becasue it is only for the first child (or a multiple birth) and if you are on certain low income benefits. It is to help with things like a cot, pram etc, things that people keep for their next babies.

"You usually qualify for the grant if both of the following apply:

- you’re expecting your first child, or you’re expecting a multiple birth (such as twins) and have children already
- you or your partner already get certain benefits"

https://www.gov.uk/sure-start-maternity-grant

A2ROR
Bulgaria

Post by A2ROR » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:20 am

Thank you JB007 for your reply. But I am looking for and judgement challenged by someone against this unfair rule.
They should have allow once if not applied for first child :(

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:39 am

A2ROR wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:20 am
Thank you JB007 for your reply. But I am looking for and judgement challenged by someone against this unfair rule.
They should have allow once if not applied for first child :(
It is fair. Why should the welfare state (the taxpayers) pay for new equipment for your second baby, when you can use the things you already have?

It wasn't that long ago that every parent had to buy this baby equipment themselves for their children as the welfare state didn't give anything.

And parents had to work to feed and house their own children as there were no benefits like Tax Credits/Universal Credit and a parent being out of work didn't change that. When you baby is born, you will be able to claim more money for them under this new system, in additon to the child you are already claiming for.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:48 am

Just be aware that the UK will no longer pay low income benefits for more than two children.

A2ROR
Bulgaria

Post by A2ROR » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:36 pm

JB007 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:48 am
Just be aware that the UK will no longer pay low income benefits for more than two children.
Hi JB007,

Thanks for your reply. What you mean by that “ uk will no longer pay low income beinifits for more then 2 kids. If someone have 3 kids then low income benifits will stop ?

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:42 pm

A2ROR wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:36 pm
JB007 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:48 am
Hi JB007,

Thanks for your reply. What you mean by that “ uk will no longer pay low income beinifits for more then 2 kids. If someone have 3 kids then low income benifits will stop ?
You will only get low income benefits for a maximum of two children. Brought in to make the benefits given for children in the UK, to now be lower than benefits given in many other EEA countries e.g. Germany, Sweden, France. The UK had found that in 2013, 5.2 billion a had been given in the benefit called Tax Credits that year, to those who were a foreign national or who were a foreign national when they applied for a NINo. Back then they had no other way of checking the total amount paid to these from the UK's Welfare State.

The welfare changes to reduce some benefits, end others, 3 year benefit sanctions, plus lot of other changes, were already being planned under new Welfare laws, as part of stopping UK benefits "being a magnet to the UK".The two child limit was in addition to the benefit changes coming in after HMRC revealed that 5.2 billion cost to the UK.