ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Sure Start Maternity Grant - Spouse Visa Public Funds

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

mavaas11

Sure Start Maternity Grant - Spouse Visa Public Funds

Post by mavaas11 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:16 pm

Hi,

My wife is here on a spouse visa - leave to enter. She has a no recourse to public funds requirement.
My wife is expecting a baby in October 2021. It states in the guidance that the sure start maternity grant is a public fund.

I'm in receipt of Universal Credit. and I believe as a sponsor (I'm male) I meet the conditions for the sure start grant. For example I receive universal credit, and this will be the only baby in the house, and no children under 16 etc.

How should we apply as my wife is not allowed to take public funds. It asks for mine and my partners name. I don't want to get refused for future applications by taking public funds for my wife, so how do I apply.

All replies are welcome.

Thanks for your help :)

TODMATT
Diamond Member

Re: Sure Start Maternity Grant - Spouse Visa Public Funds

Post by TODMATT » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:55 am

My opinions should not be constituted as an immigration or legal advice.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:03 pm

mavaas11 wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:16 pm
Hi,

My wife is here on a spouse visa - leave to enter. She has a no recourse to public funds requirement.
My wife is expecting a baby in October 2021. It states in the guidance that the sure start maternity grant is a public fund.

I'm in receipt of Universal Credit. and I believe as a sponsor (I'm male) I meet the conditions for the sure start grant. For example I receive universal credit, and this will be the only baby in the house, and no children under 16 etc.

How should we apply as my wife is not allowed to take public funds. It asks for mine and my partners name. I don't want to get refused for future applications by taking public funds for my wife, so how do I apply.

All replies are welcome.

I don't know and I am not an immigration advisor.

Reading through, you are correct in that it does state-
You or your partner must also get one of these benefits:
https://www.gov.uk/sure-start-maternity ... ligibility

And all the benefits mentioned are Public Funds, or been replaced by Universal Credit which is also a Public Fund.

From your previous posts, your NRPF wife is correctly linked to your UC claim but you are not taking benefit money for her because she is NRPF?

You could have a read though all of this guidance-
Immigration staff guidance for how to make decisions about what UK public funds foreign nationals can claim and what action it must take if they claim funds they are not entitled to.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/public-funds

I can't see where the form has to be completed by the mother, just "you" and "your partner"? It also has a box for-
Part 8: Other informationPlease use this space to tell us anything else you think we might need to know
https://www.gov.uk/sure-start-maternity ... w-to-claim

Perhaps after reading the Immigration staff guidance, you could put the information about your wife's NRPF status in there and make sure you keep a copy of the form?

As said, I'm not an immigration advisor and the reading and choice about claiming, is yours.

mavaas11

Post by mavaas11 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:43 pm

Thanks for the replies!!

I talked to someone over the phone, and as I the sponsor British only qualify for the grant, as I am in receipt of a qualifying benefit. But that I should add my wife's name.

thanks

mavaas11

Post by mavaas11 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:44 pm

JB007 wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:03 pm
mavaas11 wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:16 pm
Hi,

All replies are welcome.

I don't know and I am not an immigration advisor.

Reading through, you are correct in that it does state-
You or your partner must also get one of these benefits:
https://www.gov.uk/sure-start-maternity ... ligibility

And all the benefits mentioned are Public Funds, or been replaced by Universal Credit which is also a Public Fund.

From your previous posts, your NRPF wife is correctly linked to your UC claim but you are not taking benefit money for her because she is NRPF?

You could have a read though all of this guidance-
Immigration staff guidance for how to make decisions about what UK public funds foreign nationals can claim and what action it must take if they claim funds they are not entitled to.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/public-funds

I can't see where the form has to be completed by the mother, just "you" and "your partner"? It also has a box for-
Part 8: Other informationPlease use this space to tell us anything else you think we might need to know
https://www.gov.uk/sure-start-maternity ... w-to-claim

Perhaps after reading the Immigration staff guidance, you could put the information about your wife's NRPF status in there and make sure you keep a copy of the form?

As said, I'm not an immigration advisor and the reading and choice about claiming, is yours.
Thanks, yes they did a interview over the phone, took her brp and declined her universal credit via journal letter. We are both on the claim but i get the single rate. I have added info in a previous post.