ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tax Free Childcare or Child Benefit Tier-2

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

drijess13
Newly Registered
India

Tax Free Childcare or Child Benefit Tier-2

Post by drijess13 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:28 pm

Hi all,

We moved to the UK recently on a skilled worker visa (my husband being the main application) and me and our 2 year old daughter as dependents. We both are working full time and pay our relevant paye and NI.

Our BRP's say "No public funds". Does this mean we're under immigration control?

Does that mean we won't be eligible for

1) Tax Free childcare which normally gives us a 20% discount on private nursery fees?
2) Child benefit?
3) 30 hours free childcare after our daughter turns 3 year old?

Any replies would be appreciated.

JB007
- thin ice -

Re: Tax Free Childcare or Child Benefit Tier-2

Post by JB007 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:07 pm

drijess13 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:28 pm
Hi all,

We moved to the UK recently on a skilled worker visa (my husband being the main application) and me and our 2 year old daughter as dependents. We both are working full time and pay our relevant paye and NI.

Our BRP's say "No public funds". Does this mean we're under immigration control?

Yes.

1) Tax Free childcare which normally gives us a 20% discount on private nursery fees?
What one is that?
2) Child benefit?
This is a public fund and India (if that is where you are both from) does not have a recipricol agreement with the UK
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/public-funds

"Your immigration status"
https://www.gov.uk/30-hours-free-childcare

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:20 am

drijess13 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:28 pm
Hi all,

1) Tax Free childcare which normally gives us a 20% discount on private nursery fees? For you to be eligible for this, one of you must be free from immigration control, and you're both working full time. This is the one with the account and codes.
2) Child benefit?

No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

drijess13
Newly Registered
India

Post by drijess13 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:16 pm

So in that case, we're eligible for none because of our immigration status. I mean we pay our taxes like other nationals as well so at least for the child, we should be able to claim these!!

Anyways, thanks for your reply guys. Appreciate it.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:22 pm

drijess13 wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:16 pm
So in that case, we're eligible for none because of our immigration status. I mean we pay our taxes like other nationals as well so at least for the child, we should be able to claim these!!
Did you read the link I gave above? Your answer was in there.

Public Funds

Migrant access to public funds, including social housing, homelessness assistance and social
care

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/public-funds

Page 9 of 45 Published for Home Office staff on 20 August 2021
Why are there restrictions on migrants accessing benefits and services?
People wishing to come to the UK are expected to be able to maintain and accommodate themselves and their families until they are settled here. This is
important in reassuring the public that immigration brings real benefits to the UK and that its finite resources are protected for British citizens and those who have lawfully settled here on a permanent basis.
EEA citizens wanting to work in the UK will be under these same rules too now.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:42 pm

British citizens moving to the UK might also have a set time to wait (depending on which benefit) before they can claim some welfare benefits and that can be a 2 year wait.

Just as British citizens cannot visit the UK to get free NHS (unless there is an exemption) even though they have paid their working taxes to the UK for decades and they have to pay the NHS with 50% added. Yet a foreign national can use the NHS bill free as soon as they arrive as long as they pay a fee of £624 a year (which won't even cover the cost of one night in a hospital).

Lots of things can seem unfair, but the rules are set and some win and some lose.

Not all welfare benefits are Public Funds: some are contribution based. e.g. there is New Style JSA (Job Seekers Allowance) for those who have paid enough NICs in the two relevant previous tax years and as it is contribution based, their partners wages or savings are not used to reduce the payment.