ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Warm Home Discount - Public Fund?

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

alphagear
Member of Standing

Warm Home Discount - Public Fund?

Post by alphagear » Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:12 pm

Hi everyone,

Just received a letter through the post addressed to me the British citizen that I will be getting 150 pounds ‘Warm Home Discount’ off the Electric/Gas bill.

Problem is the electric/gas bill is on my wifes name and she has no recourse to public funds.

Will this affect her and is it a public fund?

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Re: Warm Home Discount - Public Fund?

Post by Ticktack » Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:37 pm

alphagear wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:12 pm
Hi everyone,

Just received a letter through the post addressed to me the British citizen that I will be getting 150 pounds ‘Warm Home Discount’ off the Electric/Gas bill.

Problem is the electric/gas bill is on my wifes name and she has no recourse to public funds.

Will this affect her and is it a public fund?
Nope it wouldn't. This isn't exactly a public fund. It's some kind of electricity rebate.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:55 pm

Ticktack wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:37 pm

Nope it wouldn't. This isn't exactly a public fund. It's some kind of electricity rebate.
No it's not. The £400 (split into 6 payments of about £66 per month for 6 months) and the low kWh rate is the cost of living electric rebate.

Warm Home Discount is for those who live in poverty. This year, they have to be on cetrtain means tested benefits (all of which are public funds) to be able to have the Warm Home Discount and live in a propety that has high energy costs.

If the OP is a long term benefit claimant, then they might still be on the welfare benefit called Tax Credit, which allowed the NRPF parnter to be on that benefit too if they had a child. That has ended under the replacement benefit called Universal Credit.
https://www.gov.uk/the-warm-home-discount-scheme

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:05 pm

JB007 wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:55 pm
Ticktack wrote:

No it's not. The £400 (split into 6 payments of about £66 per month for 6 months) and the low kWh rate is the cost of living electric rebate.

Warm Home Discount is for those who live in poverty. This year, they have to be on cetrtain means tested benefits (all of which are public funds) to be able to have the Warm Home Discount and live in a propety that has high energy costs.

If the OP is a long term benefit claimant, then they might still be on the welfare benefit called Tax Credit, which allowed the NRPF parnter to be on that benefit too if they had a child. That has ended under the replacement benefit called Universal Credit.
I beg to differ on your interpretation, if you're a prepaid customer, you get that.

I have never collected any benefit in my entire life, neither has my spouse. We got the letter from the council and I claimed the money from the post office.

You do not need to apply for the Warm Home Discount. You’ll be paid automatically by your energy supplier.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:47 pm

Ticktack wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:05 pm
JB007 wrote:
Ticktack wrote:

I beg to differ on your interpretation, if you're a prepaid customer, you get that.

I have never collected any benefit in my entire life, neither has my spouse. We got the letter from the council and I claimed the money from the post office.

You do not need to apply for the Warm Home Discount. You’ll be paid automatically by your energy supplier.

This year; as the link I gave explains and you put in red; people don't apply. Instead, the government data matches using the welfare benefits they claim AND the type of property they live in (which is expensive to run).

To have received a letter, you must be on welfare benefits. As sated in the link, the relevant welfare benefits are -
Pension Credit
Housing Benefit
Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
Income Support
Tax Credits
Universal Credit

Here is the link confirming those welfare benefits.
https://www.gov.uk/the-warm-home-discou ... low-income

For those not on welfare benefits (and those4 on werlfare benefits too) who have already fallen into arrears and have had a pre-payment meter installed, they can apply to their suppliers for a financial grant.

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:09 pm

JB007 wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:47 pm
Ticktack wrote:
JB007 wrote:
Ticktack wrote:

This year; as the link I gave explains and you put in red; people don't apply. Instead, the government data matches using the welfare benefits they claim AND the type of property they live in (which is expensive to run).

To have received a letter, you must be on welfare benefits. As sated in the link, the relevant welfare benefits are -
Pension Credit
Housing Benefit
Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
Income Support
Tax Credits
Universal Credit

Here is the link confirming those welfare benefits.
https://www.gov.uk/the-warm-home-discou ... low-income

For those not on welfare benefits (and those4 on werlfare benefits too) who have already fallen into arrears and have had a pre-payment meter installed, they can apply to their suppliers for a financial grant.
What you can't tell me, is what I'm on. I don't get any sorta benefits whatsoever. I don't mean that in a horrible way, but you can't seem to know how this things operate to the letter.
You might have an idea, but sometimes, they colour out of the box!
FYI, I have a few friends and family in the same category.

Even the OP has said that the spouse doesn't get any benefits. How do you explain that?

It's never all black and white.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:13 pm

And just to add, as normal, the Warm Home Discount money from the government will still be paid via the supplier AND that supplier must still be willing to particiape in this scheme. Not all engery suppliers will participate.

With previous years, the energy supplier is given a limited number of these Warm Home Discount payments to give out to those in need and these people had to apply, but once the limited number of payments had gone, that was it. That meant that some went without as these claimants of Warm Home Discount didn't thave to be on welfare benefits, but just show you lived on a low income, which meant that some on low income welfare benefits missed out if they were late applying or if they didn't know about the Warm Home Discount payment.

As said, this year they don't apply for Warm Home Discount but instead the governmnent will data match to ensure that only those on certain welfare benefits AND who have high energy costs will get this moeny this year and there is no limit to the number of Warm Home Discount. They don't have to apply as the goverment use their records to tell the supplier who can have this money.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:35 pm

Ticktack wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:09 pm

What you can't tell me, is what I'm on. I don't get any sorta benefits whatsoever. I don't mean that in a horrible way, but you can't seem to know how this things operate to the letter.
You might have an idea, but sometimes, they colour out of the box! FYI, I have a few friends and family in the same category.
You can read the link to Warm Home Discount and it is quite clear how it works this year - Core 1 Group and Core 2 Group; all on certain welfare benefits. Payments do get sent in error and it is up to the individual to not take what they are not allowed.

You said you have a pre-payment meter; was the money you received connected to that?
https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications/m ... ling-bills
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/getting-the ... e-discount

Ticktack wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:09 pm
Even the OP has said that the spouse doesn't get any benefits. How do you explain that?
He did not say that. He said his wife was NRPF. As explained above, she could be on public funds if on the old (legacy) benefit called Tax Credit and they have a child, as that was allowed. Or the OP could be on welfare benefits.

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:34 pm

He did not say that. He said his wife was NRPF. As explained above, she could be on public funds if on the old (legacy) benefit called Tax Credit and they have a child, as that was allowed. Or the OP could be on welfare benefits.
What he did say was not to his wife. Not sure what you read.
[/Just received a letter through the post addressed to me the British citizen that I will be getting 150 pounds ‘Warm Home Discount’ off the Electric/Gas bill.quote]

How does that affect the wife who has no recourse to public funds??

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:10 pm

Ticktack wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:34 pm
What he did say was not to his wife. Not sure what you read.
[/Just received a letter through the post addressed to me the British citizen that I will be getting 150 pounds ‘Warm Home Discount’ off the Electric/Gas bill.quote]

How does that affect the wife who has no recourse to public funds??
Have a read of the OP post, it was just a few lines. He was concerned that the electric bill was is her name.

alphagear
Member of Standing

Post by alphagear » Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:11 pm

Hi guys, yes I am British and Wife has NRPF.

We have a joint child/working tax credit claim. I claim child benefit alone.

The warm home discount letter is addressed to me but since my partner is the account holder for the electric/gas bill, the discount can be applied to her under the new Group 2 requirements.

The only information I have is from the NRPF website which says the following:-

Warm Home Discount Scheme

The Warm Home Discount Scheme provides people who are receiving the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit with a £140 discount off their electricity (or, in some cases, gas) bill between October and March. The discount is administered by the energy provider.

Energy customers who do not get the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit but are on a low income may be able to apply to their energy provider for a discount. Each energy company will set their own qualifying criteria to determine who can receive the discount. However, for the 2021-22 scheme, the government guidance stated:

'You may be able to apply directly to your electricity supplier for help if you do not get the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit but:

your energy supplier is part of the scheme
you’re on a low income
you get certain means-tested benefits'

Although the Warm Home Discount Scheme is not a 'public fund' for immigration purposes, the qualifying criteria for 2021-22 required an energy customer to be in receipt of a means-tested benefit. Therefore, people with no recourse to public funds were unable to qualify for a discount, unless their energy provider had set criteria that included low-income customers who were not in receipt of benefits.

This information will be updated when details of the 2022-23 scheme are announced.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:20 pm

alphagear wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:11 pm
Hi guys, yes I am British and Wife has NRPF.

We have a joint child/working tax credit claim. I claim child benefit alone.

The warm home discount letter is addressed to me but since my partner is the account holder for the electric/gas bill, the discount can be applied to her under the new Group 2 requirements.

The only information I have is from the NRPF website which says the following:-

Warm Home Discount Scheme

The Warm Home Discount Scheme provides people who are receiving the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit with a £140 discount off their electricity (or, in some cases, gas) bill between October and March. The discount is administered by the energy provider.

Energy customers who do not get the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit but are on a low income may be able to apply to their energy provider for a discount. Each energy company will set their own qualifying criteria to determine who can receive the discount. However, for the 2021-22 scheme, the government guidance stated:

'You may be able to apply directly to your electricity supplier for help if you do not get the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit but:

your energy supplier is part of the scheme
you’re on a low income
you get certain means-tested benefits'

Although the Warm Home Discount Scheme is not a 'public fund' for immigration purposes, the qualifying criteria for 2021-22 required an energy customer to be in receipt of a means-tested benefit. Therefore, people with no recourse to public funds were unable to qualify for a discount, unless their energy provider had set criteria that included low-income customers who were not in receipt of benefits.

This information will be updated when details of the 2022-23 scheme are announced.
Which is what I thought in my first post on this thread. Your wife is on your joint Tax Credit claim and for that old (legacy) benefit, she could take TC payments with a partner who can have public funds; and you could take the second adult element payment of TC for your NRPF partner.

alphagear
Member of Standing

Post by alphagear » Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:26 pm

Which is what I thought in my first post on here. Your wife is on your joint Tax Credit claim and for that old (legacy) benefit, she could take TC payments with a partner who can have public funds; and you could take the second adult element payment for your NRPF partner.
Yes correct, just wondering if this ‘Warm Home Discount’ is Ok to accept without affecting her visa conditions.

NRPF say it is NOT a public fund and neither is it on the list of public funds for immigration purposes.

The new core 2 group allows you or your partner to meet the conditions for discount.

Basically me being the main claimant on Tax credit and partner in same household on energy bill.

The other requirements were our energy supplier being part of the scheme and our property having a high energy cost threshold.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:31 pm

alphagear wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:26 pm
Which is what I thought in my first post on here. Your wife is on your joint Tax Credit claim and for that old (legacy) benefit, she could take TC payments with a partner who can have public funds; and you could take the second adult element payment for your NRPF partner.
Yes correct, just wondering if this ‘Warm Home Discount’ is Ok to accept without affecting her visa conditions.

NRPF say it is NOT a public fund and neither is it on the list of public funds for immigration purposes.

The new core 2 group allows you or your partner to meet the conditions for discount.

Basically me being the main claimant on Tax credit and partner in same household on energy bill.

The other requirements were our energy supplier being part of the scheme and our property having a high energy cost threshold.
Your NRPF partner meets the requirements to claim TC with you as you have a child and you are a British citizen.

TC is one of the welfare benefits required under Core 2 for the Warm Home Discount

alphagear
Member of Standing

Post by alphagear » Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:37 pm

JB007 wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:31 pm
alphagear wrote:

Your NRPF partner meets the requirements to claim TC with you as you have a child and you are a British citizen.

TC is one of the welfare benefits required under Core 2 for the Warm Home Discount
So taking the ‘Warm Home Discount’ is fine without affecting her visa?

Is it a public fund?

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:56 pm

alphagear wrote:

Nor is it listed as subject to immigration control under Eligbility

One of the requirements is being in receipt of low income welfare benefits; all of which are public funds.

alphagear
Member of Standing

Post by alphagear » Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:02 pm

JB007 wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:56 pm
alphagear wrote:

Nor is it listed as subject to immigration control under Eligbility

One of the requirements is being in receipt of low income welfare benefits; all of which are public funds.
Thanks and All the public funds we are claiming are completely legal.

Joint tax credits claim and me claiming Child benefit alone since I’m British.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:04 pm

alphagear wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:37 pm

So taking the ‘Warm Home Discount’ is fine without affecting her visa?

Is it a public fund?
It doesn't say it is a public fund but I am not an immigration expert/solicitor. I'm only reading what you are reading.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:29 am

Ticktack wrote:
We got the letter from the council and I claimed the money from the post office.

Last night I found some forums with discussions on the Warm Home Discount payment and they said they get the money from their utility supplier, but you said your payment came from your council and you went to the Post Office to collect the money.

However, one person on there said they got a payment from something the governmnet has called the Household Support Fund, which came from their council and they took to the Post Office to be cashed. Maybe that is what you and others you know, received? The poster said that her letter from the council stated what vunerable group they were in, to be receiving the money from this fund.

Household Support Fund: guidance for local councils

Information for local councils on the Household Support Fund to support vulnerable households in England.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... l-councils

The government is giving gave a lot of money to those of working age who claim benefits, but many vunerable households were missed and that is what this fund is for. While some got extra money via the benefit they claim and got extra another payment from this Household Support Fund.
16. When administering The Fund, Authorities are encouraged to adopt the following principles:

use discretion on how to identify and support those most in need, taking into account a wide range of information
use the funding from 1 October 2022 to 31 March 2023 to meet immediate needs and help those who are struggling to afford energy and water bills, food, and other related essentials. Authorities can also use the funding to support households who are struggling to afford wider essentials
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... principles

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:55 am

As the new WHD in England is particularly confusing I’ve created a sticky thread which explains how the new scheme will work - claiming-benefits/warm-home-discount-2022-t334229.html
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:42 am

Amber wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:55 am
As the new WHD in England is particularly confusing I’ve created a sticky thread which explains how the new scheme will work - claiming-benefits/warm-home-discount-2022-t334229.html
The government have now confirmed that the Winter Fuel Payment is a Public Fund.
When you will not be eligible

You will not be eligible if you:

need permission to enter the UK and your granted leave says that you cannot claim public funds
https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment/eligibility

You have closed your sticky Amber and unfortunetly the DWP have messed up and are sending out letters telling people they quailify for the WFP when they do not: the forums are full of this.

From those receiving the DWP letter saying they quaifly for the Winter Fuel payment, some reporting that that person does not have an electric account and they do not have a partner, when one of the requirements is that they or their partner must have an electric account. Others reporting they got the DWP letter when they are not on any benefits, which won't get picked up by the electric company.

If you get the Winter Fuel Payment letter from the DWP, make sure you are allowed to take the WFP.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:50 am

JB007 wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:42 am
If you get the Winter Fuel Payment letter from the DWP, make sure you are allowed to take the WFP.
And if you get the Winter Fuel payment given to you, make sure you are allowed to take this payment; especially if you are No Recourse to Public Funds.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:26 am

JB007 wrote:
You have closed your sticky Amber and unfortunetly the DWP have messed up and are sending out letters telling people they quailify for the WFP when they do not: the forums are full of this.

From those receiving the DWP letter saying they quaifly for the Winter Fuel payment, some reporting that that person does not have an electric account and they do not have a partner, when one of the requirements is that they or their partner must have an electric account. Others reporting they got the DWP letter when they are not on any benefits, which won't get picked up by the electric company.

TYPO
I have typed "Winter Fuel Payment" or "WFP" when I shouild have said Warm Home Discount. The DWP have messed up on the Warm Home Discount; sending letters to those who do not qualify for this.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:29 am

JB007 wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:50 am
JB007 wrote:
And if you get the Winter Fuel payment given to you, make sure you are allowed to take this payment; especially if you are No Recourse to Public Funds.
TYPO
This should say Warm Home Discount. You have to be on certain Public Funds to be able have the Warm Home Discount AND meet the other criteria.

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:47 am

Last night I found some forums with discussions on the Warm Home Discount payment and they said they get the money from their utility supplier, but you said your payment came from your council and you went to the Post Office to collect the money.

However, one person on there said they got a payment from something the governmnet has called the Household Support Fund, which came from their council and they took to the Post Office to be cashed. Maybe that is what you and others you know, received? The poster said that her letter from the council stated what vunerable group they were in, to be receiving the money from this fund.
Found the letter and it's header "Discretionary Council Tax Energy Rebate Scheme". This is for those households that do not qualify under the main council tax energy rebate scheme.

So yeah, maybe it's different from the main stuff, but it looks might the same to me. Like I said earlier, never got any benefits in my entire life.

https://www.lbbd.gov.uk/sites/default/f ... -%2023.pdf