ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Working 24 hours while on benefit

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Mohammad Alam
Newly Registered

Working 24 hours while on benefit

Post by Mohammad Alam » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:03 pm

Hi I have a question regarding working hours. I have applied for benefit recently. I am working full time now but my working hours will be reduced to 24 from next month. I have heard from my friends that I must have to do 24 hours to keep my benefit running. I work on shift basis and Some time I work night and weekend. For night and weekend I get paid extra hours. If I work on Night and Saturday it give me extra hours enhancement. Suppose If I have a shift 10 hours on Saturday On my payslip it show extra column--
Saturday Enhancement 3 hours which is extra pay on top of my regular hours. My question is If I work 20 hours and I get paid for 26 hours, Is that going to cover my 24 basic hour for benefit? Or Do I need to actually work 24 hours. Thank you in advance for your answer.

JB007
- thin ice -

Re: Working 24 hours while on benefit

Post by JB007 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:14 pm

Mohammad Alam wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:03 pm
My question is If I work 20 hours and I get paid for 26 hours, Is that going to cover my 24 basic hour for benefit? Or Do I need to actually work 24 hours.
I assume you are talking about the benefit called Tax Credit? Where parents with dependent children who work 24 hours per week between them, get Working Tax Credit too as long as one of the parent is working 16 hours? Tax Credit goes by the hours you work and not by what you are paid.

When you are moved onto Universal Credit instead of Tax Credit, you will need to work 35 hours a week (that is based on earnings at national minimum hourly wage) and your wife will need to work too.