ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Working Tax Credit Added to Claim - Legal?

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

alphagear
Member of Standing

Working Tax Credit Added to Claim - Legal?

Post by alphagear » Sat May 22, 2021 4:36 pm

Hi guys,

I am a British citizen and Wife is Pakistan with Leave to Remain and no recourse to public funds.

We have 3 children.

For the past 2 years we have been on Child Tax Credit and recently I have got more hours at job which means I now work 35 hours a week. This is a joint claim.

I informed Tax Credits and was told I am now eligible for Working Tax Credits and that has been added to the claim.

I am worried whether this is in breach of her Visa conditions.

Heard something about a Couple element/Second adult in Working Tax Credit which is not permitted to claim with a partner subject to immigration control?

Thanks.

JB007
- thin ice -

Re: Working Tax Credit Added to Claim - Legal?

Post by JB007 » Sat May 29, 2021 9:23 am

alphagear wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 4:36 pm
Hi guys,

I am a British citizen and Wife is Pakistan with Leave to Remain and no recourse to public funds.

We have 3 children.

For the past 2 years we have been on Child Tax Credit and recently I have got more hours at job which means I now work 35 hours a week. This is a joint claim.

I informed Tax Credits and was told I am now eligible for Working Tax Credits and that has been added to the claim.

I am worried whether this is in breach of her Visa conditions.

Heard something about a Couple element/Second adult in Working Tax Credit which is not permitted to claim with a partner subject to immigration control?

Thanks.
For Tax Credits, you can take the second adult element payment if you have a child.

Tax Credits

If your partner is a person subject to immigration control, but you are not, your partner is treated as if they are not a person subject to immigration control, and you are entitled to make a joint claim for Working Tax Credit or Child Tax Credit. However, unless you or your partner are responsible for a child, your Working Tax Credit will not include a couple element.

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guid ... ation-cont