ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Your experiences with applying for NRPF change of conditions?

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

higgs1818
Newly Registered
Mexico

Your experiences with applying for NRPF change of conditions?

Post by higgs1818 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:12 am

Has anyone tried applying for NRPF to be lifted?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ces-change

I wondered:
-How hard is it to make the application?
-How tight are they, in deciding applications?
-Might they have some minimum income figure in mind that I should be living on, and if I'm below that, then I qualify? Like a minimum national living income?

For example, my income (with 1 british child in infant school) is:
child maintenance: £500
work (16hrs): £650
total: £1150

I live in the former marital home (which I don't own, as can't afford to take over the mortgage). My total bills expenditure a month is about £1600 minimum. And my ex currently pays my shortfall (on top of CMS) as I have NRPF, but he says he shouldn't have to, and that I should consider applying for NRPF change instead of him substituting what UC would normally pay. I used the entitledto.co.uk calculator, I can see that I would have otherwise been entitled to around £670 Universal Credit. (no housing element)

Two further points (apologies if these should be separate threads):
-When people come to apply for ILR (that enables benefits), with all the home office delays, this could mean waiting a very long time before getting the UC, which surely would be unfair?
-What happens if ILR is rejected, and you're put on another temporary leave that has NRPF? You're denied that safety net, which can't be right.

JB007
- thin ice -

Re: Your experiences with applying for NRPF change of conditions?

Post by JB007 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:38 pm

higgs1818 wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:12 am
Those that are granted Universal Credit and are a single parent, would be expected to work at least 25 hours a week (earn £1029.16 gross per month at minimum wage) with a child of that age. In April, this will rise to at least £1128.64 a month gross as the hourly minimum wage will rise.

Why are you only working 16 hours a week? Is there a medical reason why you can only work 16 hours a week?

With UK welfare benefits , both parents are expected to keep their child and even a joint Universal Credit claim requires both parents to work, with one parent working at least 35 hours a week.
When the child reaches age 1, the non-working parent/single parent, would have to attend the job centre to discuss their plans for starting work.
When the child reaches age 3, the carer parent/single parent, would work 16 hours.
When the child reaches age 5, it is 25 hours for the carer parent/single parent.
When the child is 13 or older, the carer parent/single parent, now also has to work at least 35 hours a week.
During that time, it is likely they will no longer qualify for Universal as they can now pay for their old child.

higgs1818 wrote:
And my ex currently pays my shortfall (on top of CMS) as I have NRPF, but he says he shouldn't have to, and that I should consider applying for NRPF change instead of him substituting what UC would normally pay.
Perhaps point out that as he wanted to sponsor you to come to the UK, then he had to show that he could afford to keep you.
higgs1818 wrote:
I used the entitledto.co.uk calculator, I can see that I would have otherwise been entitled to around £670 Universal Credit. (no housing element).
But on UC you would have to attend the job centre and explain why you were not earning at least £1,029 gross per month and you would have to look for another job or better paid job. They could also send you on courses or sanction the money for 3 months (and up to 3 years) if you didn't work more hours/attend their courses/apply for jobs they told you to apply for/go on their work experience etc.

Thats correct that the housing elelemnt of UC will not pay a mortgage. The UK ended the welfare benefit that paid the interest payments on mortgages. If you moved to rented,they might pay some of the rent via the Universal Credit Housing Element, but you would have to pay the rest of the rent from your wages, benefit money etc.
higgs1818 wrote:
Two further points (apologies if these should be separate threads):
-When people come to apply for ILR (that enables benefits), with all the home office delays, this could mean waiting a very long time before getting the UC, which surely would be unfair?
Your spouse has to support your child and you can work more hours/get a better paid job. Have you spoken to a solicitor for a guide about how much of his assets (the equity in property, his savings, his pension) becomes yours on a divorce?

higgs1818 wrote:
-What happens if ILR is rejected, and you're put on another temporary leave that has NRPF? You're denied that safety net, which can't be right.
What visa are you on now?

higgs1818
Newly Registered
Mexico

Post by higgs1818 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:46 pm

Thanks JB007 for that, interesting reading.

I'm on 16 hours as my employer won't give more, and the hours are unsociable.

I noticed that UC states the claimant should work a "maximum" of 25 hours, rather than a "minimum".

I'm on a Parent Visa, but in a few months, will have been a UK resident for 10 years, so will apply for ILR at that point.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:21 pm

higgs1818 wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:46 pm
Thanks JB007 for that, interesting reading.

I'm on 16 hours as my employer won't give more, and the hours are unsociable.

I noticed that UC states the claimant should work a "maximum" of 25 hours, rather than a "minimum".

I'm on a Parent Visa, but in a few months, will have been a UK resident for 10 years, so will apply for ILR at that point.
You are allowed to have more than one job.

25 hours maximum to avoid the Universal Credit conditions, that have to be accepted when a claimant asks for Universal Credit e.g. have to go to to the job centre, go on courses etc. UC is actually based on what the claimant earns, therefore it is the equivilant of 25 hours at the national minimum wage of £9.50 (£237.50 per week)

You can work more hours than the £237.50 pr week and you will be better off financailly if you do because of the work allowance for those with a child and because of the taper. Universal Credit is all about making work pay.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:41 pm

higgs1818 wrote:

I live in the former marital home (which I don't own, as can't afford to take over the mortgage). My total bills expenditure a month is about £1600 minimum. And my ex currently pays my shortfall (on top of CMS)
As you have mentioned the CMS, I assume you used the Child Maintenance Service for them to calulate your husband's share towards keeping your child?
https://www.gov.uk/calculate-child-maintenance

Why is your monthly spend so high? Are you paying all the monthly mortgage payment and that is why he gives you the extra £450 per month, in addition to his £500 monthly child maintenacce money?

If the property and mortgage is in his name, it might make it hard for him to meet a lenders affordability requirement to be able to buy another place for himself.

higgs1818
Newly Registered
Mexico

Post by higgs1818 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:04 pm

Thanks for your reply Higgs. Yes, he pays me at the level the CMS calculator says. And I pay the mortgage (albeit from money he sends me) as he has his own place. I hope to take over the FMH one day when I'm earning more.